Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
112 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 111

39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1951 air filter
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

gregb(peoria, il)
See User information
I want to clean and reinstall the air filter on my 1951 200. Can anyone tell me if and how the actual filter element comes out? I've read through the owner's manual and the shop manual and perused the forum, but can't seem to find anything. Basically everything I've seen just says to clean it with gas then reoil. But does the actual element come out of the housing? Sorry if this question has been asked a million time, but I can't seem to find the answer. I am attaching a picture of my filter.

Attach file:

jpg  (100.82 KB)
73078_5464db32024b5.jpg 1280X720 px

Posted on: 2014/11/13 11:23
 Top  Print 

Re: 1951 air filter
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
It is not intended to be diassembled beyond the point you picture except the mesh portion should lift out of the lower oil pan. The majority of the dirt removed will be in the bottom of the pan. I don't use gasoline to clean mine, it can damage the paint and of course there is the flammability risk. I use either kerosene or charcoal lighter fluid which is much cleaner and more-or-less odorless. In either case I don't use gallons of it and soak it, rather I hold it over a waste oil container and thoroughly spray with the kerosene or lighter fluid until the rinsings come clean. This is not only neater but you also use A LOT less cleaning solvent. I don't live in dusty areas so I clean mine about every 8,000 to 10,000 miles so maybe once every 8 or 10 years. Despite an occasional chore to clean them, the oil bath filter (optional on your car) is more effective than paper elements and I encourage you to retain it.

Re-oil with SAE 50 non-detergent if you can find it, my local NAPA always has a limited amount on hand.

Illustration from the Serviceman's Training Book "Know the 24th series Packard".

Attach file:

jpg  (132.12 KB)
177_5464e399d405f.jpg 595X1000 px

Posted on: 2014/11/13 11:37
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

gregb(peoria, il)
See User information
Thanks for the reply Owen. The problem I am having is with the mesh element. I cant seem to get it to separate from the pan. I have tried turning it, prying on it, yelling at it lol. I can't seem to get it out. Is there something I'm missing?

Posted on: 2014/11/13 12:10
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Is there something I'm missing?

Not that I'm aware of. Continue applying gentle persuasion.

Posted on: 2014/11/13 12:48
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
There is a rubber seal that may be stuck.

I know this topic has come up before, but the Packard manual only mentions cleaning the element as regards the non-oil bath unit. Some marques specifically advised against using solvents on the element unless the unit was blocked by dirt. So I would just clean and refill the reservoir.

Anyhow, the way thing works is the oil is sucked up and released which cleanses the element. Thus, using a detergent oil should be beneficial. However, 50 weight detergent oil is rather hard to come by. Using a lighter grade will require in more frequent checking and refilling of the reservoir.

Posted on: 2014/11/13 19:06
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

gregb(peoria, il)
See User information
Ok. I guess I'll just have to be a little more agressive trying to get the sucker apart. Thanks guys!

Posted on: 2014/11/13 21:44
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
I use odorless thinner for cleaning my oiled air cleaners. Flammability is low and the lack of smell is a big plus with me.

Posted on: 2014/11/14 22:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
I just swish the filter around in a pan of Varsol or paint thinner (similar but cheaper) then let it drip dry. Do not blow air thru, you can make channels that will let unfiltered air into your motor.

You can drain off the oil from the oil bath, wipe clean with old rags or cotton waste. Refill to the line with 50 weight oil. You can use 30 in below freezing conditions but, it is important not to use thin oil, it can splash around and get sucked into the engine.

As long as the reservoir is no more than half full of dirt it is ok to top up the oil and let it be. They recommended servicing at oil change time but if you drive on paved roads and don't live in the desert they will go for years. Just check at oil change and tuneup time.

Posted on: 2014/11/14 23:52
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
The filter element normally just lifts out of the lower part that holds the oil.
Here are some photos of the assembled unit and the individual parts.

Attach file:

jpg  (100.81 KB)
1137_5467122cebce6.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (99.54 KB)
1137_546712ce77e03.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (89.29 KB)
1137_546712f128954.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2014/11/15 3:46
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Some sources claim that solvents degrade the element which reduces the efficiency.

Posted on: 2014/11/15 8:29
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved