Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
112 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 111

Peter Packard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Fibrated grease, are you guys still using it or is it obsolete?
Home away from home
Home away from home

D-train
See User information
Hi guys,

The manual for some of these cars require/state fibrated grease. Are you guys still using that (if it can be found) or just using a good hi temp disk brake grease, along with the leather grease seals.

Thanks,

Mark

Posted on: 2014/11/15 0:00
 Top  Print   

Re: Fibrated grease, are you guys still using it or is it obsolete?
Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
Yes, I'm still using fibrous wheel bearing grease as recommended in the Packard Service Manuals. Last year I found it and have four 1 lb. tubs left. Cost is $5.50 per tub plus shipping. If interested PM me.

Posted on: 2014/11/15 8:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Another name for it is sodium grease. You can get it through NAPA under CRC trailer bearing grease/drum brake wheel bearing grease.

However, it is not a long life grease like the lithium complex greases. Lithium greases came about after the discovery of some large deposits in South America. They are far superior to the old sodium stuff.

Posted on: 2014/11/15 8:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Years ago I used Fiber Grease in wheel bearings but have long since stopped that; I now use modern high temperature disc brake wheel bearing greases like Mobil XHP 222 and I agree with Tim, they are far superior.

The only place I still use fiber grease is in the ball & trunnion universal joint (front joint on Ultramatic-equipped cars) and the next time I drop the driveshaft to repack the joint I'll probably switch over.

Posted on: 2014/11/15 9:28
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved