Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
157 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 156

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Paint color on my 39
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I'm planning on repainting my 39 120 this spring using acrylic lacquer from TCP. They can provide the exact match for the factory colors. I've been working under the impression that my car is painted Packard Blue, which is a very dark blue, almost black. However, in looking at the factory paint chips on the TCP website, I see five different colors of blue.http://www.autocolorlibrary.com/aclchip.aspx?image=1939-Packard-pg01.jpg

Looking at the colors, it appears that the car is actually a French Blue, which means it should have red wheels. Anyone have an actual color chart who could help me identify the color? I'll attach a color photo of the car later this afternoon.

Posted on: 2014/11/15 17:21
 Top  Print 

Re: Paint color on my 39
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
here are a few photos I just took. Any guesses on the correct name of the color would be appreciated.

Attach file:

jpg  (29.23 KB)
1679_5467d9a8edc7e.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (31.56 KB)
1679_5467d9b93de95.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (27.06 KB)
1679_5467d9cd34fb9.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2014/11/15 17:55
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Assuming my screen is displaying it accurately, it's neither French Blue nor Centennial Blue, looks like Packard Blue. If it's metallic, Arctic Blue is possible. My 39 paint chart does not show a fifth blue.

Posted on: 2014/11/15 18:14
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Thanks. The chart I was looking at is a 39-40, and it has Salt Glaze Blue Poly, French Blue, Arctic Blue Poly, Centennial Blue, and Packard Blue. I'm assuming that "poly" means metallic.

Posted on: 2014/11/15 20:15
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

JohnCobb
See User information
It looks like my car that is Packard Blue, years of washing and polishing makes them seem a little lighter but I would say Packard Blue.

Posted on: 2014/11/16 0:07
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I might consider having somebody evaluate the car for a clear coat job. If the paint is original and the interior isn't show quality, the original finish can be preserved. I've seen it done on original cars and it's not that bad.

Posted on: 2014/11/16 7:18
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

39SixSedanMan
See User information
Hey, David,
My car appears to be the same color as the images you posted. As a caution, painters have told me that some of the old paint chips, will fade or darken. As a matter of fact, I have chipsets from several original suppliers (DuPont, Sherwin Williams, and a few others) and several of the darker colors are nearly indistinguishable from BLACK!

Prior to painting my car, I knew I wanted the blue you have, regardless of its name. After talking with owners and restorers (from several different states) the consensus was Packard Blue.

I have no doubt that of the various paint technologies out there, results will vary.

My car has been painted using the new single stage with mixture match done using PPG components. In dusk light, it almost appears black, in daylight, quite bright.

I uploaded photos, linked to my profile.
Pat

Posted on: 2014/11/18 20:06
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Thanks Pat - our cars are the same color, Packard Blue. I'll be ordering the paint from TCPGlobal later this winter.

Posted on: 2014/11/18 23:01
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
Dave,

I would suggest ordering a quart in acrylic enamel to verify it is the color you want before ordering enough to do the entire car. Also, make sure you get plenty to do the entire job with lots left over. If I remember correctly, TCP Global will mix a single batch and package it into gallon or quart cans as required.

When I bought 2 1/2 gallons of base coat for my '32 and it came in 3 one gallon cans.

Posted on: 2014/11/21 18:55
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
For what it is worth-the Packard Blue-almost black is very very close to Mitsubishi 93-94 Code Ac10997 Princeton Blue-another code 5b-47927 00(A) not sure what all these codes mean. It crossed with the Packard Blue paint chip I had.

Posted on: 2014/11/22 9:26
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved