Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
107 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 106

39Rollson, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Re: Had this problem before, 49 Custom 8 won't go into gear
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
...But first things first, please do check the pedal free play!

Good advice from O_D and HH56. Also check for badly worn linkage.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/11/20 13:29
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
It worked BUT now the right front wheel is frozen. I'm thinking its the brakes?? You guys helped me with one problem care to make it two-please?

Posted on: 2014/11/20 17:23
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
There is a good chance that the wheel cylinder on that wheel has leaked. But to get the car moving and out where you can look at it I would back off the adjustment on that wheel about 15 clicks and then rock the car with the engine a bit till it breaks free.

To back off the adjustment, insert the brake tool in the slot and push your end of the tool down. Suggest you look at all the brakes sooner rather than later.

Posted on: 2014/11/21 6:46
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
Ross,
I'm pretty much a novice so you'll need to be more specific at to exactly what you mean--please.
Thanks

Posted on: 2014/11/21 9:54
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I'll assist Ross and post photos with the arrow pointing to the pertinent item. The star wheel is turned by using a flat bladed tool inserted thru the slot in the backing plate and moving the free end up or down. The notched wheel has a spring under it so each movement of the tool turns the wheel against the spring pressure so it rotates a notch or two at a time. When looking for the slot, there may be a rubber protection cover over it which you will need to pry out.

Attach file:

jpg  (47.09 KB)
209_546f5f480d0ba.jpg 670X541 px

jpg  (46.67 KB)
209_546f5f4f3db49.jpg 682X565 px

Posted on: 2014/11/21 10:52
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
It's unclear if you need more help beyond what HH56 has illustrated. If you have sufficient room where the vehicle is parked to work at the frozen wheel, jack it off the ground and secure it with a jackstand. It will be easier if you first remove the tire/wheel. Then remove the grease cap on the brake drum - it just presses in and there are special pullers for it but normally just work around the perimeter between the drum and the lip of the cover with a broad screw driver to remove it. Then remove the cotter pin and wheel bearing retaining nut. Then extract the wheel bearing and associated parts. Assuming the brake shoes aren't holding it, just wiggle the drum off.

Looking at this as well as your prior problem, it seems this car has been stored in a very damp location; if so everything in the hydraulic brake system would be suspect so as Ross suggested, you may be in for a total brake job including all the steel lines which may look great on the outside but be severely corroded on the inside. When there is the faintest bit of doubt, replace!

Though it's possible to rotate the brake adjuster with a broad screwdriver, it will be far easier with the simple tool illustrated in HH56's picture. It's commonly called a "brake spoon" and should be easy to find in an auto parts store.

Posted on: 2014/11/21 11:25
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
Owen,

I should do what you say first before I turn the little star wheel? The car was driven regular up until mid June and has sat since then.

Posted on: 2014/11/21 14:42
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
When I jacked the front up today the frozen turned freely with my hands, I only turned it once. Then when I tried to drive it it froze up again. I did the star wheel about 15 clicks and that didn't help. I wasn't able to get the grease cap off, it wouldn't push in at all.

Posted on: 2014/11/22 12:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Do you have air trapped inside brake fluid lines? If so the might expand when hot, causing brake shoes to expand. Just a thought.

Posted on: 2014/11/22 12:32
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
And also check the condition of the hoses.

There have been reports of hoses swelled, damaged, or otherwise in poor condition. While fluid under pressure can be forced into the wheel cylinder to apply the brakes, because of the swelling or damaged hose, springs cannot push the fluid back out quickly enough to return it to the master cylinder and release the shoes. The result is a wheel that is locked. Usually the pressure will slowly bleed off and free the wheel but happens again the next time brakes are applied.

If it is only one wheel and you can rotate it again after a few hours of the car sitting but it locks again when brakes are applied, I would look into the hose. As someone else mentioned, it could also be the wheel cylinder but I believe if that is bad, once locked it usually stays locked.

Posted on: 2014/11/22 13:54
Howard
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved