Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
149 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 148

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

Re: Had this problem before, 49 Custom 8 won't go into gear
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
HH56,

So, I would look at the hoses for swelling or bulging?

Posted on: 2014/11/22 14:29
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you have loosened the adjusting star and the wheel is free for a length of time and also ruled out the wheel cylinder and shoes by removing the drum as O_D suggested, then the hose would be the next step.

Unless the hose has been crushed, kinked, or obviously damaged, I doubt you will see anything on the outside. The rubber part which deteriorates and is the actual fluid channel is surrounded by a woven reinforcement material which prevents any swelling to be seen on the outside. The reinforcement prevents the rubber from moving outward so forces it to squeeze together and thus the problem.

If the hoses are older and hopefully not the originals, I would suggest changing them all because of age. If one is bad, the others are not far behind -- but at the least for now you can change the one wheel and see if it solves the problem. You will have to bleed that one cylinder if you change the hose but if you are careful you should not have to bleed the entire system.

If it turns out the hose is the problem I would strongly add to the suggestion you have the entire brake system done.

Posted on: 2014/11/22 16:55
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Good advice from O_D and HH56.

The cap on the front wheel hub (hub cap) pries off, not pushes in - if I read your posting correctly.

There are books on basic maintenance and repair, and a parts and repair manual for your Packard is a must. A vintage copy of a"Motors Manual" that covers your year is also a good manual to have.

This Packard will also give you the opportunity to purchase a vast collection of hand and power tools. Some you will only use once (usually the most expensive ones).

This site has a wealth of information on Packards, and folks here are are always willing to share their knowledge and experiences.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/11/22 17:47
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
I did loosen the star wheel about 15 clicks and that did nothing. But yesterday morning when I first went out there and jacked it up the wheel turned freely. Then when I started it and tried to drive it it went forward a little and froze up again.

Posted on: 2014/11/23 8:51
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I am afraid you are going to have to get that drum off and have a look. The last time I experienced something like that, one of the bonded brake linings had fallen off the shoe and was getting jammed.

Posted on: 2014/11/23 10:07
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Packard0, if I recall correctly you said you were a bit of a novice on auto service and if you are it's likely you don't have much if anything in the way of specialty tools. If you're in this for the longer haul you may want to invest in a couple of very inexpensive brake tools - yes you can manage without them - but they sure make the job easier.

The first is a tool to remove the grease cup from the front brake drum. The second is a tool to remove and reinstall the brake shoe return springs.

Attach file:

jpg  (62.04 KB)
177_5472823c65eab.jpg 1280X618 px

jpg  (69.51 KB)
177_5472824f3d61c.jpg 1280X585 px

Posted on: 2014/11/23 19:57
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
Ok, you're right I don't have a bunch of special tools but I do have some tools. I'm determined to get the grease cap off and wheel hub. Give me some tricks to getting the grease cap and hub off without destroying something if you can please. I tried getting the grease cap off with a screwdriver working around it but it didn't appear to do anything. Maybe I should try harder? Also, it's in good condition as it's had regular maintenance so it doesn't appear to be rusted at all.

Posted on: 2014/11/23 21:34
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Using a screwdriver to pry the cap off usually works. But, sometimes when the cap is on real hard, something more than "gentle persuasion" is needed. Again use a screwdriver, punch or similar but this time use a hammer to tap the screwdriver, etc against the edge of the cap by working around it to push it off, it'll come.

Edit, if you can find one of those brake spring tools get it!

Posted on: 2014/11/23 21:41
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Packard0, if removing the front drum grease cup is what's holding you up, the tool I pictured is quite common and I'd bet you could borrow one from a local brake shop or repair garage, or from a local hobbyist.

Posted on: 2014/11/24 10:20
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
Here is a pic with grease cap off, it came off super easy and I'm not even going to tell you why it wouldn't come off the first try--stupid me! Now I need to get the wheel hub off right? What's the best way? Oh yeah, I can turn the wheel by hand in the reverse direction but not the forward direction.

Thanks

Attach file:

jpg  (46.19 KB)
1497_5473574b305ea.jpg 766X572 px

Posted on: 2014/11/24 11:05
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 »

false-false
Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved