Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
138 user(s) are online (96 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 138

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

Had this problem before, 49 Custom 8 won't go into gear
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
Ok, I live in humid climate so I've had this problem before. The car (49 Custom 8) won't go into gear when running. Yes, the car has sat for awhile and I assume the clutch is stuck like before except last time we rocked the car back and forth and it broke loose and then worked fine. Can't get it to break loose by rocking it back and forth this time.

What if any are our other options? Start with easiest to hardest--haha.

Thanks

Posted on: 2014/11/16 14:25
 Top  Print   

Re: Had this problem before, 49 Custom 8 won't go into gear
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If rocking didn't work, chances are using the starter motor to apply torque wouldn't either. Using the starter to try and turn the flywheel while trans is in gear and brakes applied has been done without problems and is the easiest but is a stress on starter and gear teeth so issues can result.

The safest and probably next easiest approach would be to raise the car and remove the lower flywheel cover to expose the clutch. While someone has the pedal depressed another would go under and use a thin blade such as a putty knife or long thin steel rule to insert between the clutch plate and pressure plate or clutch and flywheel to break it free.

Once free one way to prevent it happening again is measure the distance between pedal when down and the lower dash edge and cut a block of wood to fit. Next time car is parked, depress the clutch and insert the wood to keep pedal depressed and pressure off the clutch plate.

Posted on: 2014/11/16 14:53
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
From your conversation-I assume it will go into gear with the motor not running? These are prone to problem with gear shift levers hanging up-there is ahole on the gear shift tube about 1/3 the distance between firewall and endof the gearshift tube need to put light oil in the hole and work gear shift back and forth.

Posted on: 2014/11/16 17:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
Yes mostly when not running. But when it's running it just grinds like it's trying but the clutch is stuck to the flywheel if I'm saying that right.

Posted on: 2014/11/17 22:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Maybe not the best way, but after I had bought a 47 Packard after setting over ten years. I blocked the tires, removed the coil wire, put it in first and cranked the starter. All the time holding the clutch down, as the Packard started putting pressure on the blocks (I blocked all tires.) it popped loose. I haven't had any problems after that. But as I first said probably not the best way to do it.
Wes

Posted on: 2014/11/19 10:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
[Edited]. Assuming it is a clutch disc stuck to the flywheel or pressure plate, there are several methods that have been used successfully. HH56's suggestion of removing the clutch cover and using a thin blade to separate the disc is the safest and most direct. Other methods I've seen used successfully, and which require you take some precautions are, with a wide open and empty road in front of you, start the car in gear (1st or 2nd), accelerate to speed, depress the clutch pedal, and slam on the brakes. Might take a couple of tries. A variant of that is to put the rear wheels off the ground on jackstands, chock front wheels very securely, and again start the car in gear, increase engine speed, depress the clutch pedal and slam on the brakes. Both these methods are "classics" for the symptom but obviously require careful preparation and involve some risk.

Though I've never found it necessary, blocking the clutch pedal to the floor during prolonged storage as has previously been mentioned was a very common practice years back and still a good recommendation today for periods of long storage in humid conditions.

Posted on: 2014/11/19 11:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
I tried the raising rear wheels and starting it in gear and that didn't work. It seems hard on it starting it in gear so I didn't do it but 2-3 times. I'm going to do it the way I should have first by removing the clutch cover like y'all said. No one is with me so, can I depress the clutch pedal with a 2x4 and then go under and do the deed? Also, I've never done this so does anyone have any pics of exactly what I'm looking for and at?
Thanks

Posted on: 2014/11/20 11:51
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
No one is with me so, can I depress the clutch pedal with a 2x4 and then go under and do the deed?

Yes.

If you elevate the car, make sure it is very secure!

The clutch fiction disc is located between the flywheel and the clutch pressure plate. You are looking to establish freedom of movement between those two surfaces. You might want to first check the clutch pedal free play; ideally about 1 inch of free motion at the top and if more than that, you may have the situation that when the clutch pedal is fully depressed to the floor board there hasn't been enough movement of disengage the clutch. Simple adjustment of a turnbuckle or similar if you find too much pedal free play.

Posted on: 2014/11/20 12:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Here are a couple of photos of the assy. What has typically happened when in this condition is the friction surface of the driven plate has stuck to either the flywheel metal or the pressure plate metal.

The objective would be to release all pressure via depressing and holding the clutch pedal so whatever space is available between components could separate. Once some room has developed something very thin could be inserted so the two surfaces could be forced apart. Holding the clutch pedal down with wood would be acceptable. Just make sure it is secure and won't fall away while you are maneuvering under the car.

No idea how much space between components when released is normal but probably no more than 1/8" or so. The area to insert the tool is indicated by the arrows. Also need to work the tool so as to present as flat a surface as possible to the components to avoid gouging the friction material. If you can't get it free from one opening, you may have to rotate the engine slightly so the openings change position.

If the car has OD, in addition to the regular bolts from below holding the lower flywheel cover to the bellhousing, there is a bolt on the bottom of trans coming into the lower flywheel cover from the rear. Sometimes that has been covered with grease and hard to see.

Attach file:

jpg  (70.74 KB)
209_546e22ae04201.jpg 784X513 px

jpg  (67.51 KB)
209_546e22cdadb6c.jpg 778X547 px

Posted on: 2014/11/20 12:21
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Just to add to what HH56 has provided, the other possibility and one I've seen often enough is that the clutch disc hub has rusted to the transmission input shaft splines. Should this be the case and I hope it's not, you may end up removing the transmission and the pressure plate to free it up. If so, pin-punch the pressure plate and flywheel to make sure you reinstall in the same position.

But first things first, please do check the pedal free play!

Posted on: 2014/11/20 12:34
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 4 ... 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved