Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
136 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 135

Joe Krzan, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1937 hood installation
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Bradford B. Owen Jr.
See User information
I am restoring a "basket case" 1937 115, and now that I've painted all the parts, I'm not sure how the two halves of the hood attach. Is there a rod to thread through them or do they just slide together. If the latter, what keeps them in place once on the car? Also does anybody have a usable hood trim strip for sale - the reproduction piece is too expensive to justify!

Posted on: 2014/11/16 22:01
 Top  Print   

Re: 1937 hood installation
Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
My 38 has a rod going through the panels

Posted on: 2014/11/17 8:26
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Packard's redesigned 38 models fixed the problems with the 35-37 junior hoods with a rod for each hood panel. The 35-37s only had one rod for both panels. If I recall correctly, there are two clips at the front and back into which the hood center rod fits. They face different directions so as to better secure the rod. Over time wear and use results in this design becoming less able to secure the rod. Opening one side at a time is recommended with this design. Opening both sides at the same time just invites the whole thing from coming loose. Someone, somewhere, at sometime was offering remanufactured and suposedly improved clips for these Packards. I don't think it makes any difference in which direction the front and back clips face, just make sure they are in different directions. Sometimes a little reworking of the clips will help them to keep the rod in place. Frustrating design.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/11/17 13:39
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Bradford B. Owen Jr.
See User information
Thanks for the information!! Does anybody know what the diameter of the rod is, or have one for sale? I guess I can estimate the diameter and get some rod stock to make one...

Posted on: 2014/11/23 14:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Clarification:

There is no rod for the center hood panels. Each side has a formed metal strip riveted to the middle side of the panel and the two sides just slide together. The panels are held to the body by special clips front and rear. See attached photos for details.

Rods are used between the center and side panels.

Attach file:

jpg  (95.57 KB)
1137_547247ebbbc6c.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (104.01 KB)
1137_54724846d7cfa.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (110.52 KB)
1137_5472488f92e8c.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (90.67 KB)
1137_547248a7794ab.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (49.61 KB)
1137_547248b92c2dc.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2014/11/23 15:51
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Bradford B. Owen Jr.
See User information
Thanks, BDeb of Alberta (used to live there myself in late 60's). Good Pictures, but I'm still confused. I have the clips, but the two hood halves will have to be persuaded to slide together. Are you saying I need to slide short bars through the hole between the hood pieces after they are slid together, and then put them under the clips and reattach the clips? Or should I just use one continuous rod for the whole length? Thanks, Brad

Posted on: 2014/11/26 20:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
The 2 middle panels of the hood slide together lengthwise along their center. The "C" shaped formed metal strips that are riveted to the hood panels are opposite from right to left so that they lock together.

The shaped part of the left side strip is shorter than the right side to allow for the end clips to mate with the right side only and provide the center pivot for the hood assembly.

There is no separate center rod or bars required at all.

Posted on: 2014/11/27 1:10
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Bradford B. Owen Jr.
See User information
Thanks again, BDeB! I think I got it and will try this as soon as possible. BTW, nice 49 Custom you have; I have a 48 Custom I restored about 12 years ago - wonderful road car!

Posted on: 2014/11/27 10:51
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Doug Porter
See User information
I understand how this is designed to work but on my 115c I can't seem to get the hood to stay engaged in the clips. Every time I open it the hood slides out of the attaching clips. Anyone have a suggestion?

Thanks, Doug P

Posted on: 2018/1/20 10:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
apologies in advance for the sarcasm.

The short answer to your question is get used to it. Your hood "hinge" as it were is likely worn past the point of secure engagement with the front and rear clips. No amount of rebending or replacing the clips will help. It is a poor design, now 80 years or wear and tear have evidenced the issue.

Posted on: 2018/1/20 14:40
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved