Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
140 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 138

Todd W. White, 53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 8 »

Re: phil88m6's 1936 120B convertible
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Phil Parkey
See User information
Well haven't posted in a while. Work is going very sloooowwwllly. How can an oil filter create so much of an issue?? Got the filter and new lines mounted without thinking about the clearance for the generator till I started to mount the return line. Sooo back up and move to the generator. Find generator, disassemble, inspect, clean, paint, reassemble, 4 trips to hardware store for new bolts that you don't have in the 8 or 10 boxes of new bolts, nuts and washers already bought.. Mount generator and then discover you can't find the adjustment bracket. Probably in the missing box with the crankcase road draft tube. Anybody got either of these? Drop me a line. Was hoping to start on the exhaust this weekend before the half day generator/oil filter project went bad. Photos coming soon. Stay tuned! My target is the Gettysburg meet. Just a matter of time, money, and patience and which runs out first!

Posted on: 2009/7/4 8:01
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Phil Parkey
See User information
Ok here is another round of photos. Hope you enjoy!

Attach file:

jpg  (139.22 KB)
384_4a53fd4468509.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (106.40 KB)
384_4a53fddab27e1.jpg 960X1280 px

jpg  (149.12 KB)
384_4a53fe744a480.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (177.78 KB)
384_4a53feb6a3fec.jpg 960X1280 px

Posted on: 2009/7/7 21:04
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Looks great, absolutely lovely! But I'd do some work on repositioning the oil filter, it will block the airflow to the crankcase breather which is part of the crankcase ventilation system along with the road draft tube. You'll perhaps note that the seniors in 41-47 actually added an air draft tube to help that situation on that engine.

Posted on: 2009/7/7 22:26
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Phil Parkey
See User information
Interesting comment. It is where I have seen them on other Juniors. In Hershey this week and hope to see some other 120 examples. If I lower it, it is too close to the generator.

Posted on: 2009/10/7 21:02
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Gregg Shelton
See User information
Just curious- did your hydraulic shocks work and in good shape when you started or did you have them re-built by Apple or some other vendor. My front end bounces like a super ball, obviously needing attention.

Posted on: 2009/10/21 18:45
Forty one is the one! Packard 120 touring sedan
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Phil Parkey
See User information
The previous owner had them done. I don't know who did them. In fact he had most of the front end done by the time I got the car. Shocks, bushings, king pins etc. I did the engine, trans and rear end.

Posted on: 2009/10/31 19:20
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Phil Parkey
See User information
Well work is moving ahead. Set the radiator, ignition system, and mounted the exhaust. A bit of temporary wiring and the engine fired to life last night. Oil pressure is 35 lbs at idle. No knocks or strange noises. Got a minor exhaust leak near the heat riser valve. Ignition points still need some work adjusments, backfiring when revved, idle is smooth and quiet. Should have some more photos up this week. After all this, the new thermostat doesn't work, go figure. Running hot after a 5 to 10 min of idle and no water circulation.. Should have a new one in this week and will retry. Stay tuned! Thanks to the Flackmaster, i have the crankcase draft tube installed. About to head look into a new wiring harness. Any recommendations??

Posted on: 2009/11/4 22:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
NO (??) water circulation? Very concerning. Pull the thermostat housing and remove the thermostat, NOW. Put back on and add some water. Spin waterpump. Please tell us the water pump is pumping. And yes, adjusting the points on that dual point distributor takes a little finess. Still, music is music. Good work! DAF

Posted on: 2009/11/4 23:19
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Phil Parkey
See User information
Well its that time of season. As a pipe organ builder Christmas service is approaching. So maybe this weekend.

Posted on: 2009/11/5 21:12
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Phil Parkey
See User information
A couple of questions. Still working through the engine temp issue. Have pulled the thermostat. Some improvement but I attribute that more to the cooler temperatures right now. Planning to pull the radiator again and send it back to the radiator shop.

As for the running. Distributor and points are all tweaked and adjusted to factory spec. Engine cranks and starts extremely easy. Idles great!!! After setting all items with the ignition, new points, condenser, cap, rotor, wires and plugs, rebuilding the carb the engine seems to run extremely lean. Bogs when revved and backfires through carb when building rpms. Valves are adjusted to specs and the cam was in good condition. Closing the choke cures the majority of the problem. So I am curious as to what to look at next on the carb. It has the correct Stromberg EE14 carb. Float is set to spec. No leaks. Responds well to idle mixture screw adjustments. Accelerator pump works according to visual check. The Stromberg is much simpler than my experience with Quadrajets, Thermoquads, and Holleys. Any suggestions or known tricks on these engines. The plug wires are lacquered OEM type and are routed in the factory loom.

I look forward to any suggestions. I am about a days worth of work before moving on to the body. Still hope to have it completed this year.

Posted on: 2010/1/20 21:23
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 8 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved