Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
118 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 115

29tons, JWL, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Outer door handle return spring - - - -
Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Just today discovered that one of my external door handles stays "popped out" - I assume that there is a spring somewhere within the door trim attached to part of the door which stops it from popping out - has anyone had the same happen to them and does anyone know the accurate return spring location ?

Best regards Michael

Posted on: 2014/11/17 11:09
 Top  Print 

Re: Outer door handle return spring - - - -
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It is a torsion spring. Looks like the wire diameter is .062 and fits over a .312 diameter shaft. The shaft looks like it would push out if one were careful to support the pot metal. You may be able to find something locally at a UK supplier. It has only 3 turns or coils to fit in the narrow space so that may be an issue finding the same.

Attach file:

jpg  (38.78 KB)
209_546a225e9ee71.jpg 717X474 px

Posted on: 2014/11/17 11:29
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You could try Century Spring, probably a stock spring or something easily adapted. But it also looks like a real easy spring to make yourself.

View this little tutorial; for something so small with only 3 turns you don't need a lathe, just a piece of wooden dowl with a suitable diameter.

http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/springs/springs.html

Posted on: 2014/11/17 11:32
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael Evans
See User information
Thanks for the photo O.D - just another thought : both of the handles that have failed on my car were "first issue" handles - I understand that a "second issue" was introduced fairly early on in production of the 22nd Series which had a second screw through an extension of the back plate casting. This screw went though the extended back plate and was visible on the outside - perhaps someone has had some problems with the second series too if so we need to know - or are ALL the failures of the casting occurring in the first series ? - if the latter then perhaps I should be looking for the second series handles as replacements I'm sure they MUST fit ? That then leads to a question : how and what was the second screw fixed into ?

Having taken my offending handle off the car the problem was that the casting was broken, not just a broken spring.

My Restorer thinks there's very little chance of removing and replacing these springs anyways as he thinks the casting would break under the pressure - even if we could find or make a correct spring !

Thoughts please - and anyone out there got some handles ?

Michael

Posted on: 2014/11/25 11:44
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
The later style handles can fail as well but only due to very heavy use. I have seen a few that were broken.

There was a captive nut on a reinforcing plate inside the door for the second screw on the later type door handle.
Some photos in this old thread.

22nd Series door handle

Posted on: 2014/11/25 19:04
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved