Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
113 user(s) are online (68 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 111

Packard Don, 29tons, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Outside mirror 53-54, How do these come apart?
Home away from home
Home away from home

longjohn
See User information
I've acquired an outside mirror that mounts on the drivers door belt molding for my 54, but the silver on the mirror has gone bad. Can anyone give me some idea how these come apart? I don't see any screws or nuts or anything that would release the mirror from the base.

Posted on: 2014/11/20 12:52
 Top  Print 

Re: Outside mirror 53-54, How do these come apart?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Assume you mean how the round chrome or stainless the mirror is surrounded by is attached to the base.

If there are no visible screws then typically the mirror is cemented to or the metal edges are rolled over after assy to capture the mirror to the round cover. Most I've seen with that construction have a ball shaped receiver on the pot metal base, the mirror frame is thin metal stamped to the shape of the receiver opening, and inside behind the mirror there is another usually spring loaded piece of metal shaped to fit the same general contour. The thin metal mirror surround is sandwiched between the two.

The way the inside piece is held can be by a screw threaded into the pot metal base or worst case, the pot metal has a stem which was cast when made and then peened over the extra piece after the mirror frame was in position but before the mirror glass was attached.

If it is the rolled over type there is generally no disassembly possible without visible damage. If the cemented type then typically the mirror can be broken out and replaced with one made to size by a glass shop. Again, depending on how the assy is fastened together -- screw or peened over metal -- determines the next step if you want to have something rechromed.

Posted on: 2014/11/20 13:16
Howard
 Top  Print 

Re: Outside mirror 53-54, How do these come apart?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
A different mirror construction but I had no problems disassembling, rechroming and reassembling the sidemount mirrors on my 34, and they had the rolled bead around the glass. I simply broke the glass and removed it, had the parts plated and reassembled, and then had the new round mirror glass cut to just fit inside the rolled edge, and glued the glass in. It's been in there now about 40 years and no problems and you can't tell that the glass no longer extends beneath the rolled edge.

Posted on: 2014/11/20 14:25
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved