Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
149 user(s) are online (91 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 146

JW49, BigKev, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

engine assembly
Home away from home
Home away from home

Lonny
See User information
I am getting ready to assembly the engine for my 1934 1101-718 320 cu in. I need the torque spec. and torque sequence for assembly. Does anyone know where I can get this information?

Posted on: 2014/11/20 19:40
 Top  Print 

Re: engine assembly
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Lonny, it's not clear if you're asking about the cylinder head, rod and main bearing caps, or something else. But the answer is the same, in that era there were no torque specs and mechanics were trained to do by feel. Torque specs came later but can be retroactively applied to earlier cars.

Cylinder head fasteners should be clean and dry and torqued in 3 stages to about 63 ft-lbs. Start in the center and spiral out across and front to back. You'll have to use guesswork on the stud between the coils.

I'll check on bearing caps and post later.

Posted on: 2014/11/20 20:40
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Lonny,on the cylinder head, don't forget to check the torque again after about 15 minutes of running, again after a couple of hours, and yet again after a season of use.

Posted on: 2014/11/20 21:00
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Google torque spec for bolt sizes. There is a general rule for torque specs for ANY bolt or stud based on bolt size. Look in just about any Motors Manual or Chiltons etc. They usually give such a chart for torque ratings based on bolt size.EXACT torque is not critical but rather EVEN torque of all the bolts is most critical.

Posted on: 2014/11/20 21:19
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Main bearing cap bolt tension 65-70 ft.-lbs. And they should be torqued AFTER the aluminum crankcase has been attached to the cast iron bores, never before.

Rod bearing cap bolt tension 45 ft-lbs if you stayed with original type poured babbitt bearings or used 1935-39 rods with OEM-type flanged insert bearings. If someone cut and modified you 1934 or earlier rods to accept some substitute insert bearing and made some accommodation to correct for the absence of thrust faces, I suggest you get a recommendation from them.

I would never use values given in tables for maximum permissible torque based on thread and bolt grade. It's all about clamping force and it's effect on surrounding components; engineers made torque recommendations to reach a specific clamping force compatible with such variables as distortion of components, expansion & contraction, etc. For example, excessive cylinder head torque will distort the engine block or at the least, place it under stress.

Posted on: 2014/11/20 23:11
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved