Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
42 user(s) are online (29 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 40

ElGroucho, dallas, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

windshield wipers
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim49
See User information
hello:
I have a 1952 200 and I wonder why when I use my wipers they go up when I turn the knob and they go down when I turn the knob, but once they are up they don't go down automaticly. I have to turn the knob for the wiper to move back down.
I know there is directions in the literature to lubricate the wipers , which I have done.
thanks
tim

Posted on: 2014/11/22 15:41
 Top  Print   

Re: windshield wipers
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If I understand you can turn the knob and they will go up and stay there?? To go down you have to turn the knob to off and again they move but stay down and probably all the way to touching the bottom molding as if in park position?? If that is the case, not sure internal lube will help. If not the case, then I don't quite understand what is happening and this theory may not be the cause.

On the vacuum wiper motors, there is a small valve mechanism in a chamber on the front of the motor. The valve cycles back and forth to redirect the vacuum to each side of the paddle. It relies on the wipers getting to a certain point at the top and bottom of sweep and then an off center spring flips the mechanism. It also is dependent on the cable from switch being adjusted properly and pulling the slide valve on top to full on and off positions.

It sounds as if that flipper mechanism is not working -- possibly gummed up but also it has a spring mechanism and a fiber or plastic piece which could have broken. If that looks OK, it could be if the drive cables to the side wiper blade mounting pieces are incorrect or the wiper blades are misadjusted on the stem splines so they are hitting something before it reaches full sweep. Either of those could prevent the motor from making it to the point where it can flip the valve to go down.

You can remove the motor and open the chamber to check out the mechanism. You should be able to manually turn the paddle piece and watch the mechanism flip back and forth. If it does then I would look at the cable and arm adjustments. If it does not and is not gummed up then time for a Ficken rebuild or another motor.

I don't have a 52 assy but here is a prewar and a V8 motor. The valve mechanisms work the same in switching the vacuum but are physically different. Yours should be similar to one of them.

Attach file:

jpg  (76.11 KB)
209_5470fe9be0878.jpg 1280X842 px

jpg  (55.43 KB)
209_5470fea7d611f.jpg 1002X561 px

Posted on: 2014/11/22 16:24
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim49
See User information
thanks for the info howard. you are a wealth of information. now I can investigate more. And if I have to send for a rebuild that will be ok too.
thanks

Posted on: 2014/11/22 16:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
Does your 52 have the newer style motor as pictured above-1955 style? What type of washer jar/pump? I have found , and corrected many issues such as the paddle seal to case,park seal to cup, slider valve etc and they all involve very inexpensive solutions. If you have the later model I may be able to help you.

Posted on: 2014/11/22 18:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
I see a number 7 and a letter k on the shuttle valve toggle in the picture in the above post. Is this V8 wiper motor a "short sweep-long sweep" version? Were all V8s equipped with that one and mag-nu-matic washer or were these optional upgrades?

Posted on: 2014/11/22 19:19
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
It is the short/long sweep and believe was stock on the 55-6 since the switches all had the lever and only one motor listed in parts. According to the RPO codes, the washer was optional for the lower end Clipper models but standard on the Custom and Packards.

Posted on: 2014/11/22 19:43
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
Cool. thanks. I could have answered my own question by looking at the parts listing. I will check it to see how far back the short sweep- long sweep was used as I am curious. So if 2 part # listed,1 the same and 1 other a different # that would suggest an option in earlier years.

Posted on: 2014/11/22 20:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Packard introduced the Trico variable arc wipers for the 1955 model year. I don't recall for certain, Cadillac may have had them one year earlier.

Posted on: 2014/11/22 20:21
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There was a second design switch in 53 so believe the electric mag nu matic washer was made available late 53 and co-ordinator was made available in 54 because it required a different motor with the cast in mounting pieces. Before that it was turn the knob backward against a spring to admit vacuum to charge the washer and then turn the knob the regular direction to kill vacuum and start the wipers. It was turned off manually when desired. Believe the variable sweep was 55-6 only.

Posted on: 2014/11/22 20:26
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
I did see in the 48-54 parts manual a call out for the 2 styles of washer jars and a note for the mag-nu-matic to be used with the wiper and coordinator. Also the svc bulletin noting the warrentee svc on wipers directed to trico but troubled to find prt # listings for the wiper motors in 55-56 or 48-54.

Posted on: 2014/11/22 20:43
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved