Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
144 user(s) are online (88 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 143

DM37, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: PPG: New Addition to the Collection
Home away from home
Home away from home

Caribbeandude
See User information
I have a NOS roof emblem , horn button, and radiator emblem for the 54 Carnation and Amethyst Pacific which means they did apparently stock spare parts for this color scheme

Posted on: 2014/11/26 23:02
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
This tends to prove they made more than five - else why stock the parts?

Posted on: 2014/11/27 12:11
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Hello Randy:

Hmmm...... I had just the opposite thought. The spare parts may be available because a minimum number were ordered and after the first 5 (R code paint) were built the subsequent 50 (LE paint code cars) were never actually built. Maybe only Earle C. Anthony was the only dealer that had the vision to buy an amethyst Packard and the dealers in nowheresville knew they could not sell a "purple" Packard.

Additionally, I took a look at the PAC Directory and counted 20 1954 model #5431 Pacific hardtops. BTW Packards International no longer publishes a directory because of "NSA-type issues." Anyway, of the 20 listed, 3 of those cars are known to be R code cars - so 60% of the initial 5 have survived. The remaining 17 do not list the paint code. But, from the survival rate of the R code cars (60%), then you would expect and least ONE of the LE code cars would exist.

It would be interesting to mail postcards to those remaining 17 and see if other LE paint code cars exist.

Posted on: 2014/11/28 12:24
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Hi Roger: Curious about your comment:

....the subsequent 50 (LE paint code cars) were never actually built...

Just supposition on your part based on the known survivor cars, or do you have some documentary basis for that comment? I've asked Robert Neal the same question about his statement that the additional 50 were built. It would be nice to know if there is any actual documentation one way or the other.

Posted on: 2014/11/28 12:31
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Hello Owen:

That is pure SUPPOSITION on my part. I don't have the answer about the 50 subsequent LE code cars but it would be nice to know. Perhaps my statement should have been preceded with the word MAYBE.

The reason I threw that out there was that we know 60% of the R code cars survived, yet we need to know if ANY of the LE cars survived.

Posted on: 2014/11/28 15:10
-

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Hello Caribbeandude:

Since you brought it up, you know I have to ask. PM sent.

Thanks, --Roger--

Posted on: 2014/11/28 15:11
-

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Caribbeandude
See User information
there were 2 of these at the 1999 National meet, I know of one for sale in New York and one in Maryland, that makes 4 or 5 surviving cars, I bet they did make 50 to 55 of these, I heard that were all in +/- 50 of the 1189 made in serial number range, still a very rare car, these cars look great in pictures but even better in person, a gorgeous color combination

Posted on: 2014/12/2 0:44
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Hello Caribbeandude:

Yes, we know that the two amethyst cars at the 1999 national meet were the one that is now located in Baltimore and the car the PPG now has. The third amethyst car is now located in the state of Washington and is also listed here on PackardInfo.

What would it take for you to contact the two other sellers and have them post photos of their cars here on PackardInfo?

It would be great to see a photo of the paint code sticker on the right side of the glove box drawer. This would help clear things up about the R code and LE code cars.

BTW, the photo below is from the Washington amethyst car - notice the paint code is handwritten vs. a printed version.

Attach file:

jpg  (16.55 KB)
436_547dc557d805d.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2014/12/2 8:57
-

Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved