Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
158 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 158

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Has anyone anything to report on the new design pistons from Kanter?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
IIRC, supposedly, Kanter now has a new source for Packard V8 pistons with the steel expansion struts cast into them.

That's the good news. The bad news is their retail prices are $560 for 352" and $640 for the 374".

Has anyone used the new Kanter's and have a first hand comparison with the Egge pistons? The Egge's pistons improved in the last few years, but were not as good as the OEMs. For the $400 or so, they were OK for restored cars.

What's the word?

jack vines

Posted on: 2014/11/22 21:44
 Top  Print 

Re: Has anyone anything to report on the new design pistons from Kanter?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
The last one I did we put forged pistons in it.

I don't think the $30 differential is particularly steep. However, if they aren't tin plated I'm not sure it's worth it given the tin plating allows running tight clearances. If they aren't tin plated then they still need to run .002-.0025 the same way as the other stuff.

Hopefully the tolerances are such that individual fitting is not such a big deal.

Posted on: 2014/11/23 6:09
 Top  Print 

Re: Has anyone anything to report on the new design pistons from Kanter?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
The last one I did we put forged pistons in it.
Agree, I do many builds with forged pistons, but for most restoration/show cars not driven hard, they offer no real benefit for the 2X cost above the Egge.

Just for the good of the order, from whom did you source the forged pistons and what is the current cost?

That's the purpose of this question. I know the tradeoffs for the baseline Egge repops and topline forged pistons. Now, if Kanter has a median option, I'd offer the customer three price levels, with benefits of each and let him choose.

And yes, even a Packard owner, an extra $400-500 on the rebuild cost can be the deciding factor.

Quote:
If they aren't tin plated then they still need to run .002-.0025 the same way as the other stuff.

I'd respectfully disagree. Most OEM and rebuilder pistons today aren't tin-plated and it's their design and/or alloy which determines the piston-to-bore clearances required.

Quote:
Hopefully the tolerances are such that individual fitting is not such a big deal.

Not usually a problem today, but we still measure each piston and write the exact dimension to the ten-thousandth on the top. With a power stroke hone and diamond stones, it's possible to hold desired bore clearance within .0005".

FWIW, the Packard Shop Manual allows a range of piston-to-wall clearance of .0005 - .0015". Evidently, Bohn Aluminum and Brass, the piston manufacturer and the Packard engine plant couldn't hold an exact bore clearance, so the pistons had to be selectively fitted to the bores. That's why each bore has a single or double letter stamped on the outer edge of the block; to tell the assembler which piston should go in each hole.

jack vines

Posted on: 2014/11/24 11:49
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved