Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
167 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 166

53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 4 »

Starter Motor
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

kasli
See User information
Hi my starter motor front housing for my 1946 Clipper broke . The exact reason I am not aware . But was wanting to know if anyone knows a parts supplier for this housing or suggests what can be done to get it back on my car.

Thanks

Attach file:

jpg  (117.22 KB)
2057_547352d69b85b.jpg 640X1136 px

jpg  (144.95 KB)
2057_547353109309b.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2014/11/24 10:47
 Top  Print 

Re: Starter Motor
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Morning Kasli...

I would start with Max Merritt and Kanter Auto Products. They are the two largest parts suppliers.

Ernie

Posted on: 2014/11/24 11:29
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
And as far as a reason for the broken nose, we have seen several other starters with similar damage lately and I believe almost all had been a 6v starter working on 12v. The increased voltage puts out a tremendous amount of torque and slams the drive gear into the housing end with a lot of force. If yours is still 6v, it is less certain but another reason has been thought to be loose mounting bolts or something in the mounting hole preventing the starter from sitting square..

If you are running 12v, when you get a new starter it might be a good idea to have new 12v field coils installed so it can better handle the higher voltage.

Posted on: 2014/11/24 11:34
Howard
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

kasli
See User information
Yes she was running a 6v on a 12v . Would I get the 12 volt field coils on eBay ! Or should I try some other source. Will also connect with Max Merrit as they are one of the eBay people I came across for my clipper.

Posted on: 2014/11/24 11:44
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Jason at AER might not be able to supply a new starter but he could probably supply the coils so might be worthwhile sending him an email with the starter brand and numbers to ask.

No idea how plentiful old American cars were in India but if they were imported in any number you might even be able to source the coils locally. If there are some auto electric shops that deal in older autos you might check with them. Delco starters were used on so many American cars that it is possible someone local could source a coil from their supplier even if the cars were not plentiful. The basic motors behind the mounting end were very similar with a lot of interchanging of internal parts -- it is the bolt mounting or piece that broke and the gear part that varies from car to car and makes finding a particular starter more difficult.

Attach file:

jpg  (10.90 KB)
209_547368287b00c.jpg 286X90 px

Posted on: 2014/11/24 12:20
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Are there any numbers on the part that broke?

Posted on: 2014/11/24 15:15
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
ok. let us assume that the break is due to operating a 6v starter on 12v. Then maybe an alternative plan would be to determine someway to REINFORCE the nose of the starter and thus allow for the repair of broken starters. As well as continued operation at 12v.

Posted on: 2014/11/24 15:43
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I notice that Kasli is in India. Plenty of small foundries and casting shops there. Or it seems that way since so many parts i buy are made in India. Recently pistons for an 88 2.0 ford.
Shouldn't be any problem to find a local India foundry to cast the starter nose. Preferably in STEEL. No???? And probably fairly cheap in price too.

Posted on: 2014/11/24 15:49
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
I have emailed Jason to bring this string to his attention. Should be here in short order.

Posted on: 2014/11/24 15:59
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jason Smith
See User information
I support the theory that 12 volts can in fact break the drive end housing. I've seen this happen many times along with broken drives, bent armature shafts and even broken armature shafts. Even if you find a good replacement housing, you may have a bent shaft now as well. There are other possible causes that would result in this as well, but the higher voltage is common.

As far as a solution, I can provide you with a complete starter converted to 12 volts and ready to go. If you're interested, please contact me directly at jason@aerrebuild.com and I can get a estimate together for you.

-Jason

Posted on: 2014/11/24 19:27
Jason
Advanced Electrical Rebuilders
Starter, Generator & Distributor Restoration
jason@aerrebuild.com
www.aerrebuild.com
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved