Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
165 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 165

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: Starter Motor
Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Would a early 55 Clipper starter interchange?

Posted on: 2014/11/24 20:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
CUriosity:
Does Kesli's car have ELECTRONIC ignition???

Posted on: 2014/11/24 20:22
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

kasli
See User information
Yes, I am in India. We do have lots and lots of foundrys to get the part casted. My concern is basically on the plate and the fitting in the main body where all the bolts etc fit back. Luckily the armature is in good nic.

I think it's. Good idea to go and check in regards to the Casting of a new top

Thanks

Posted on: 2014/11/24 21:01
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

kasli
See User information
Yes / I do have an electronic ignition . Some insight if this could lead to a higher drive or crank and related to the starter I would like to know

Posted on: 2014/11/24 21:02
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

kasli
See User information
In regards to how so many American cars in India . We we had for the largest time dealers of various makes from Buicks and Cadillacs - Mainly GM and PACKARDS- Studebakers and then the cars in 50s started getting assembled and into Right Hand drive from Left hand Drive.

Parts like coil for all in the U.S. using American cars converted to 12 volt we use a Golden coil by Lucas which works correctly and superb discharge . Costs like 60-75$ but lasts a life time.

Posted on: 2014/11/24 21:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Thus far we know very little history about this particular car leading up to the broken starter. So i will attempt to guess at the possible causes.

1. Engine backfired while starter engaged thus indicating some ignition or timing problem that CAN break a starter, ANY starter.
2. IF the starter has been operating satisfactory for any significant period of time and miles on 12v then not likely that the 12v on the 6v starter caused the break.

Posted on: 2014/11/24 22:28
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Quote from post #15 above:
" Parts like coil for all in the U.S. using
American cars converted to 12 volt we
use a Golden coil by Lucas which works
correctly and superb discharge..."

I assume that to mean that there are NUMEROUS cars in India that have been converted from 6v to 12v. No??? Is it reasonable to assume that such 6v to 12v conversions extant for at least 30 years and such a 6v to 12v conversion is not uncommon??????

Therefore such starter breakage is also common????? If such starter breakage is NOT common then blaming the break on 12v is not a reasonable conclusion.

Correct me if i am wrong but it is my understanding that Massey Ferguson (aka Tafe, Harry Ferguson) is most popular agricultural equipment for India. Probably many such MF (HF) tractors there that have been converted to 12v but still running 6v starters. NO??? Are those 6v to 12v converted equipment breaking starters on a regular basis too????

Posted on: 2014/11/24 22:47
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

kasli
See User information
There are many such tractors here . Dime a dozen and hardly on 6v, most of the dealers or service centres converted these tractors to 12 v even in remote areas . Many or most American cars unless barn finds have been changed from 6v to 12v but could either be using a rewound Dynamo or an alternator. For the want of ease and less hassle when stuck and need to jump the car and electric fuel pumps / fans

Many cars have the hassle I faced of the starter housing breaking but mainly everyone is saying that the over cranking resulted in the breakage which I am not sure .

I have attached images of the coil that we use . I do have an electronic ignition as I was asked and need some insight on how this could cause the problem.

Attached a dual coil set up on my car for ease if stuck due to the coil and can be immediately replaced with the wires. I drive roughly ten thousand miles a year in the car. So need it more on a touring set up than show setup or complete stock. Electronic fuel pump, fan & alternator . Switched to a K&n filter also

Thank you

Attach file:

jpg  (112.73 KB)
2057_54749d476a156.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (96.11 KB)
2057_54749d6514eda.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (117.17 KB)
2057_54749d7c50039.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2014/11/25 10:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Many thanks for the tip on the ignition coil.
My remark about the e-ignition was not to blame e-ignition but rather to determine if there was any backfire (caausing engine to turn backwards) that might have caused the starter to break. Over the years i have replaced numerous e-ignition control modules in relatively late model cars with factory e-ignition. AT LEAST half of those coontol modules went baad with symptoms of VERY SEVERE backfire while trying to start. That's why i asked about the e-ignition and wondering if there some backfire or sudden stop or irregular starter load while cranking the engine.

U indicate that u have operated the car for about 10K miles per year wwith the 12v battery operating a 6v starter. Maybe more miles than that even???

So rhetorically then, IF operating a 6v starter on 12v causes the break then how long does it take to break the starter??? 10K miles??? 40K miles???? 100K miles??? I don't know.

Posted on: 2014/11/25 10:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
So rhetorically then, IF operating a 6v starter on 12v causes the break then how long does it take to break the starter??? 10K miles??? 40K miles???? 100K miles???

Sooner or later, operating a 6-volt starter on 12 volts will inevitably result in damage, possibly to the drive, the housing, even the ring gear. Could happen next week or in 20 years, or it could outlive the owner of the car.

As to the prior suggestion to get a new housing end cast new by a foundry, that makes no sense at all; many Delco starters shared the same casting and at this point they are still pretty plentiful though as these failures continue the supply is certainly decreasing. If you're operating a 6-volt starter on 12-volts I'd suggest getting a spare now rather than wait. You might also want to think about picking up a new ring gear.

Posted on: 2014/11/25 11:08
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved