Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
67 user(s) are online (45 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 67

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

What is this?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Deskdriver
See User information
Found a guy in L.A. area that was lien selling a '49 Packard.
It was in a body shop for repairs prior to the tow company getting it. So, I bought another one (Wife thinks I'm nuts)
Anyway came across a few things I'm not sure what they are or if they are necessary as I don't have this bottle thing on my other '49. Can you tell me what it is, what it does and if I can take it off. The hose out of the top appears broken off and have no idea what it plugs into.
Thanks,
B.

Attach file:

jpg  (55.23 KB)
67700_5473efe812362.jpg 1024X768 px

jpg  (58.15 KB)
67700_5473efff37ff6.jpg 768X1024 px

Posted on: 2014/11/24 21:57
[url=http://packardinf
 Top  Print   

Re: What is this?
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
On the top photo that arrow points to the vacuum port that would normally be the vacuum supply for wiper motor. It would go to the fuel pump top section, out the pump and to the wipers. I would look and see how the wipers are plumbed. That bottle might be some kind of reservoir.

If the wipers are plumbed differently and do not go with the bottle and there is some kind of opening to pour oil into the bottle, it might be an upper cylinder lube setup. Those were common in the era although most were glass jars or had a wide opening and tube went to the base of the carb.

Posted on: 2014/11/24 22:10
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Deskdriver
See User information
I'll have to look further at the wiper motor, thanks. The wiper arms have been pushed into the interior as the body was being prepped to paint. The motor is partially disassembled.

Would this bottle be an after market item as it feels like its plastic or even pvc. My thought was maybe some type of smog stuff for what ever reason, the car is exempt from smog requirements.

If needed I'll take more pictures and post them.

Thanks for your help!
B.

Posted on: 2014/11/24 22:45
[url=http://packardinf
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Looks to me like someone's mislead idea of an improvement. A true improvement to get the best wiper performance would be to return it to the correct installation.

Posted on: 2014/11/25 0:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
I'm not so sure it was a mislead idea of improvement. There is a neat way to supply extra vacuum for short period of time when accelerating. Even the best restored original system will lag, or even stop, upon heavy acceleration.

Posted on: 2014/11/25 8:38
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Did I miss something in the photo? I didn't see the vacuum booster pump in the loop with the reserve canister.

Posted on: 2014/11/25 8:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
The "device" looks like a small vacuum reserve tank. I would think it is not needed with a properly functioning and plumed vacuum booster section incorporated with the fuel pump. Maybe it was installed as a work around to a non-functioning vacuum booster or an engine with low vacuum.

Reserve tanks were installed on cars with power brakes in order to provide braking ability with the engine turned off. Maybe this is where the idea to install one came from.

Also, strongly suggest that the after market air cleaner get replaced with a proper oil bath type.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/11/25 10:56
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
"I bought another one (Wife thinks I'm nuts)"
We certainly don't think so, instead it's for including your '49 Eight Touring Sedan in the Registry.

Posted on: 2014/11/25 14:44
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
This tank was installed on the firewall of my 48 when I got it. It is hooked in line from the pump to the wipers, apparently , as an extra boost. An old mechanic told me he had seen these on other older cars. don't know -

Attach file:

jpg  (103.33 KB)
4958_5474f1acdad1b.jpg 1280X853 px

Posted on: 2014/11/25 16:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

I remember seeing that type of apparatus mounted on cars with vacuum wipers. A try at having the wiper work better in a rain or heading up hills.

One inventive fellow rigged up his home-made unit using a grapefruit juice can, the old type when they still painted the labels on!

Steve

Posted on: 2014/11/25 18:07
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved