Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
140 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 138

39Rollson, Plugs1, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: What is this?
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Ima48too
See User information
Ford visited the same can company but went for flat black paint. We knew anyway:http://www.classicautoair.com/cair/images/store/3-117.jpg

That reserve was so A/C cars didn't go to full heat upon acceleration. My '94 Impala SS does, but you really gotta keep yer foot into 'er. Cop car, the heat is on.
Bernie

Posted on: 2014/11/25 19:13
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
This one could be factory made - the way it attaches to the firewall - but, who knows ?

Posted on: 2014/11/25 19:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Looks like an AC dryer.

Wild guess: Vacuum reserve tank for power brakes. Did this car have a power brake conversion, or some other kind of other religious experience?

Posted on: 2014/11/25 21:00
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'd think if the intended use was a vacuum reserve for power brakes it wouldn't function well, the hose sizes are much to small in diameter for the amount of air a power brake unit has to expel quickly.

Posted on: 2014/11/25 23:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Deskdriver
See User information
It is a wiper motor vacuum bottle. I saw a 2272 on Ebay for sale and the pictures can be made larger. Noted where the connection is made and checked mine. The upper hose is the correct length and diameter to connect to the wiper motor.
HH65 you were right!

Thanks for the help pointing me in the right direction. Guess if I didn't ask, I would have taken it off. But that leads to another question. Some have stated here that the vacuum is typically taken off the fuel pump, is this correct?

Someone has put an electric fuel pump in this car and left the mechanical one in placed. Guess I will find out more when I drop the fuel tank and lines.

Again, thanks for the information. I do enjoy reading this board.

B.

Posted on: 2014/11/26 21:40
[url=http://packardinf
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Some have stated here that the vacuum is typically taken off the fuel pump, is this correct?

Yes, the upper half of the mechanical fuel pump is a vacuum booster pump. It's in series between the manifold and the wiper motor and it's purpose is to provide vacuum to the wipers during periods of hard acceleration when the manifold vacuum drops.

Posted on: 2014/11/26 23:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Rusty O\'Toole
See User information
A vacuum reservoir will make the vacuum wipers work longer on hills IF you have a 1 way valve next to the engine.

I saw a neat aluminum reservoir behind the grille of a 1952 Chrysler, I believe it had something to do with vacuum trailer brakes, the car was used to tow a large travel trailer when new. It couldn't be wipers as Chrysler had electric wipers, yes that early.

Fords had juice cans under the hood for vacuum reservoirs, connected to things like smog equipment, and vacuum headlight doors. Even the expensive Mercury Marquis and Lincolns used them. This was in the 70s.

Posted on: 2014/11/27 1:00
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
It's still amazing to me that Packard was even messing around with vacuum wipers in the '50s. This, from a company that was electrically oriented from its founding? Can't understand it. If I recall correctly, they even went to electric wipers for a while and then back to vacuum for some reason.

Especially strange is staying with vacuum wipers in '55 and '56, in spite of all the other advancements in those cars: all-electric pushbutton gear selectors... and vacuum wipers? They must've procured a surplus of those vacuum units somewhere and needed to get rid of them.

The topper was compromising the OIL PUMP in '55 and '56 in order to provide a bit of vacuum boost-- which was never sufficient under acceleration anyway.

Posted on: 2014/11/30 21:29
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
My 65 Tbird has a vacuum "juice can" as part of the vacuum control for the air conditioning system. If you want to see a nightmare of vacuum lines, just look at a Ford product of that vintage. You can buy new ones at most of the mid 60's Tbird websites if you want one.

Posted on: 2014/11/30 21:44
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't know when Mercury finally went electric but they still had vacuum as late as 58 so Packard was in with several others. I know Mercury had them because they used the same Trico vacuum wiper and washer with co-ordinator setup as Packard. Yours truly endured several miles of listening to an angry father after pushing the wash button and then finding the water nozzles were clogged. Trust me, without knowing how the thing works and what hose to pull there is no stopping the wipers when the water can't escape and the co-odinator is telling the wipers to go.

Posted on: 2014/11/30 21:45
Howard
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved