Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
154 user(s) are online (86 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 154

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Mechanic in SE Michigan (Wayne, Washtenaw, or Monroe counties)?
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

carfixated
See User information
Hi all.

Anyone know a mechanic that will go general work on classic cars in SE Michigan for someone who just does not have time to do all work himself? Preferably someone in the western/southern suburbs of Wayne, Monroe or Washtenaw counties?

(...and COMPLETE AUTO RESTORATIONS is too high-end for my rusty original drivers IMHO. They'd prob turn their nose up at my car. LOL)

Underbody steel, fuel tank, power steering, carbs, etc?

Thanks
JMG

Posted on: 2014/11/25 5:43
Older enough to know better. Fool enough to not care.

96 Celica GT Conv
15 Jeep Wrangler
(Post-war Packard, someday!)
 Top  Print 

Re: Mechanic in SE Michigan (Wayne, Washtenaw, or Monroe counties)?
Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Hello JMG

You could help yourself a little bit by describing what "general" work you are talking about. Such as mechanical, engine, body or trim/interior work. You could also give us some direction on what "classic" car you own, say pre-war, post-war or V8.

And from your comment about CAR being "too high-end" and that, "They'd prob[ably] turn their nose up at my car" tells me that you did not come out and actually ask them if they would work on your car.

I know the guys at CAR, they did some interior work for me on my 1941 120 and things went well. Maybe you just walked into the place and saw the 1933 Packard limo undergoing a full restoration and assumed they might not help you out. And what does "high-end" mean? That CAR will only do concours work and you only wanted "driver quality" work or something less than the best?

All that being said, you seem to have your mind made up about CAR.

Therefore, I will give you another name for you to contact, even though I don't what you want done and that he will give you good work. Call Dan Boehm. He is in New Boston, MI and his phone is 734-753-3979. Tell him Roger from Motor City Packards sent you.

You also should join the club:http://www.motorcitypackards.com/files/other/MCP_App.PDF

Posted on: 2014/11/25 16:30
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

carfixated
See User information
Hi. Sorry. Clarification: 1962 Valiant. Rusty, ugly, beautiful.

Work needed per my original post: carb, power steering, fuel tank, some unibody repair.

CAR. Did not mean to give any offense about them. I am sure they are wonderful at what they do. But I did not get a very welcoming vibe there, and they were working some six-figure jobs that were out of my level of the food chain when I visited, so made the decision that they were not what I needed, and I moved on.

Perhaps the PI forum was not the place to ask this question. Sorry.

And I AM a member of MCP. Thanks!

Posted on: 2014/11/25 16:58

96 Celica GT Conv
15 Jeep Wrangler
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Carfixated

For what its worth, my approach would be to ask around among your local car club members, both rodders and restorers. Most have had to deal with similar issues with their cars, regardless of make. Everyone loves to find that local garage who'll still work on older cars, usually are glad to refer other guys seeking the same.

I hope you'll continue to visit this Forum in your search for that postwar Packard. We have the ongoing Various CL Pickings thread in For Sale/Wanted where folks post interesting cars worth pursuit. When you do find one you want and can afford, become a regular here. Here's one that would be worthwhile to pursue, '52 Mayfair hardtops are very desirable and its near you.

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=15191&forum=2

This is easily the most knowledgeable, generous and helpful group of Packard guys you could hope to find. Take a look at the Projects Blogs, you'll be impressed with the persistence, work and dedication to returning these cars to the road. Hope you will join us.

Steve

BTW, Your 1962 Plymouth Valiant has the most sophisticated design of all those early 1960's compacts. In truth, given that high style wasn't requisite to sell cars in that segment (witness the Ford Falcon), the design should have been reserved to the Chrysler or Imperial. There's an opinion that should incite comment!

Posted on: 2014/11/25 18:23
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave Brownell
See User information
When I read about a Valiant in a Packard forum, two of my memories were awakened about both. An elderly married couple had no children but did own a succession of Packards from the late forties until their final 1955 Clipper Custom hardtop. As with other neighbors, I became their car wash and wax kid and kept theirs clean and presentable. I was ten or so when I started doing these chores for neighbors. I remember when their 51-52 Packard sedan got replaced by this new Clipper. A new car like that one was always a treat and this one was so much nicer than their old one.

I took care of that Clipper until it failed to come home sometime in 1961 or 1962. Instead of the Packard, they had replaced it with a new Valiant hardtop, it might have been a 1963 Signet. The couple said they could no longer find anyone who wanted to work on the Packard and feared that parts might also become scarce. From what I know, the Clipper had never failed them. But as the wife said, "That new car is certainly no Packard but it does do the job." I kept that Valiant clean for them a few more years. Like with all of my neighborhood "customers", I was moving their cars around short distances from the age of 13. I knew the Clipper pretty well, but had to agree that the new Valiant was no Packard. But it did serve them well for another eight or nine years, until they stopped driving.

Years later, I had an opportunity to buy my own Valiant 200 sedan while I was in the Navy. A fine rust-bucket, it never let me down once, and I'll defend its Slant Six until my last breath is drawn. But it never had the soul of a Packard. Fifty years later, a Valiant six is just as foreign a challenge as an old Packard to a younger mechanic who is used to diagnostic tools you plug in. Good luck, help is out there, somewhere, especially in SE Michigan. He or she will probably have gray hair.

Posted on: 2014/11/25 19:19
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

carfixated
See User information
thanks Dave & Steve.

I'm also going to check with local clubs (such as our local Packard club, which I am a member of!). I have a few leads, and Roger also gave me one here.

I enjoy lurking about here in PI Forums reading about other folk's projects and cars. Good group here!

Someday, I'll get my dream Packard. For now, my Road Toad will keep me company!

thanks

Posted on: 2014/11/26 0:06

96 Celica GT Conv
15 Jeep Wrangler
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

James Russell Packard III
See User information
I seems to me that he is looking for an old fashioned good heart Mechanic(not a corporation or restro shop or 'go in for an oil change and replace the muffler bearing overhaul shop )

Very rare an Honest man that works on old cars with a shop and a brain with the necessary potion of common sense. the world seems to have pushed us aside. But we do exist, though few in numbers.

good luck on you search, Though the scriptures are filled with such tales..

A 62' Valiant!! awesome.

Attach file:

jpg  (177.84 KB)
1374_5476047f92bb6.jpg 1280X1026 px

Posted on: 2014/11/26 11:49
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Hi carfixated:

I might be able to find you a good lead. I myself am so busy with work in Detroit I don't have any free time until sometime in 2015. But I will check with some people I know and find out if they know someone good who can do your Plymouth work.

Cheers

Posted on: 2014/11/26 19:37
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

carfixated
See User information
Rusty: EXACTLY. Rare Breed. But worth their weight in gold for the stories they can tell alone!

Tim: Thanks. If you find anyone, let me know. I am in NO RUSH at all. When I find someone, they can work at their pace. I'm fine with that.

Roger: Thanks. I'll call your friend in New Boston. If he is game, great. If not, no harm. Thank you.

Since my mention of my Valiant evoked some fond memories, I figure I owe you guys at least a photo of my "Road Toad". So here he is. Something about him screamed to me "buy me!" when I really did not need another project.

I love this web page and the people on it. Fun readings! Thanks.

Attach file:

jpg  (47.27 KB)
4792_547a9c7d6f523.jpg 640X360 px

jpg  (39.65 KB)
4792_547a9c8537dfb.jpg 640X360 px

Posted on: 2014/11/29 23:27

96 Celica GT Conv
15 Jeep Wrangler
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved