Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
153 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 153

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Engine Rebuild 40 110
Home away from home
Home away from home

SteveP516
See User information
After diagnosing a worn out six cylinder, I'm in the process of rebuilding the 110 motor. I've talked to the various vendors looking for the availability of parts and I think I'm in good shape there.
Where I'm struggling, is in trying the navigate the various Service Bulletins. Without having a dedicated service manual, I cannot find the spes that I'm looking for. I've referred to the Series 38 39 Shop Manual for reference only, but I would be more comfortable with the exact info before the machine shop starts.

I'm specifically looking for the dimensions/specs around the cam (are the lobes worn out?) and crank journals.

Can someone help navigate with what I'm looking for?
Any help would be greatly appreciated..........

Regards,
Steve P

Posted on: 2014/11/25 9:57
 Top  Print 

Re: Engine Rebuild 40 110
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
No help on the cam specs but wear on the lobes is usually pretty obvious just on visual inspection. Here's the main/rod bearing data from Motor's; consider buying a Motors covering your vintage, in some cases the data is easier to access. And the best place for specifications is not in the shop manual but in the Service Letters for your series that give quite complete specifications.

Attach file:

jpg  (219.38 KB)
177_5474a4de11996.jpg 1027X1280 px

Posted on: 2014/11/25 10:48
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Others here with more experience and knowledge may have a better way to determine the general condition of a camshaft, but here is my method: Besides a visual inspection of the cam, mic each lobe from the heel to the high point. Look for differences, all the intakes should be the same and the same for the exhausts. If likes are all the same then the cam is probably okay. If there are differences in likes, then probably some wear on those lobes.

I assume you are going to have the cylinders bored and the crankshaft journals turned; what does your machine shop say about checking camshafts?

Also check for wear on the cam journals, usually not a problem, but you never know what you will find.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/11/25 14:14
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

SteveP516
See User information
Thanks for the input..........Today I met with the owner of a local machine shop who builds race motors and has the latest technology in machining. I'm finding out that there are very few shops that still grind cranks He will be grinding the crank and has the ability to measure the cam.

I'm starting to feel better about the project. All I have to tackle is the front harmonic balancer and front seal.
Thanks,
Steve P

Posted on: 2014/11/25 19:30
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

SteveP516
See User information
My question involves the front oil seal..... Is the rubber and friction material in the vibration dampener acting as the oil seal. The rubber on mine is completely gone..........
Thanks,
Steve P

Posted on: 2014/11/27 18:09
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Quote:

stevep516 wrote:
My question involves the front oil seal..... Is the rubber and friction material in the vibration dampener acting as the oil seal. The rubber on mine is completely gone..........
Thanks,
Steve P

The rubber in the vibration damper is not the oil seal.

There is a simple mechanical seal inside the timing cover that keeps oil from leaking out.

Posted on: 2014/11/27 19:42
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

SteveP516
See User information
Thanks for the input............... So the rubber missing inside the dampener will not be an issue?
Steve P

Posted on: 2014/11/27 19:52
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Missing rubber in the damper may affect its performance.

Others on this site have mentioned Damper Doctor in CA as a source for having them rebuilt.

Damper Doctor

Posted on: 2014/11/27 20:17
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

SteveP516
See User information
Just a quick update............

After diagnosing the problem of very little compression, the decision was made to pull the motor for a complete overhaul.
After pulling the front end and removing the motor. The various components were sent to the machine shop for the following repairs:
* motor was bored .030 , measured about .018 out of round
* block was decked.
* new valve guides were pressed in
* valve job completed
* head was machined .010
* exhaust manifold was ground flat
* crankshaft was ground .010

Will continue to update as progress is made.....

(edit) The most difficult item to locate has been the head studs. Fine /fine studs will more than likely be made by a local machine shop.

Attach file:

jpg  (110.63 KB)
1493_54a746817efde.jpg 1000X750 px

jpg  (105.58 KB)
1493_54a748f7e78d4.jpg 1000X750 px

jpg  (101.68 KB)
1493_54a749063049c.jpg 1000X750 px

jpg  (90.01 KB)
1493_54a7491e6ce3d.jpg 1000X750 px

jpg  (98.90 KB)
1493_54a7492dafd32.jpg 1000X750 px

Posted on: 2015/1/2 20:43
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Max list head studs for all 40-42 models so you should be able to find them. Kanter should have them too.

Posted on: 2015/1/2 20:55
Howard
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved