Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
135 user(s) are online (98 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 134

William Grosz, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Throw out bearing retainer, Clutch fork boots?
Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
A search brought up this thread:
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=12873&forum=2&post_id=132195#forumpost132195
It looks much like my '55 Clutch fork boot but ideally, a rubber boot like later GM parts would be a less involved installation, partially because my wire retainer crumbled upon removal. Is anyone familiar with later 50's Olds/Caddy parts?
Also my car had no retainer present for the throw out bearing but was held in place by the input shaft. Might someone have an illustration of what Packard used? Viewing the manuals posted here were elusive.

Posted on: 2014/11/25 17:42
 Top  Print   

Re: Throw out bearing retainer, Clutch fork boots?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
Also my car had no retainer present for the throw out bearing but was held in place by the input shaft.

The bearing is a light drive fit in the crankshaft recess. With the transmission input shaft in place there is no possibility of it coming out, thus no retainer necessary.

jack vines

Posted on: 2014/11/26 10:14
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
Hi Jack,
While a retainer is not technically needed, it would sure make installation much easier(without duct tape)and would insure that the bearing does not drag on the clutch?
If the weather cooperates, Sat is the day :)

Posted on: 2014/11/26 11:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
Hi Jack,While a retainer is not technically needed, it would sure make installation much easier(without duct tape)and would insure that the bearing does not drag on the clutch?

If the proper bearing is properly installed, neither of the above conditions can occur.

All pilot bearing ODs should be a light drive fit in the crankshaft and no duct tape should be needed to hold it in. If it can fall out, something is radically wrong.

Not sure how the bearing could "drag on the clutch", as it is held back in the recess by the transmission input shaft.

Give us more detail about the problems you're describing. Did you see evidence of them when you removed the existing pilot bearing?

jack vines

Posted on: 2014/11/26 17:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Did I miss something here, the bearing in the thread title is the throw-out bearing, the discussion seems to be centered on the pilot bearing.

Posted on: 2014/11/26 17:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
Did I miss something here, the bearing in the thread title is the throw-out bearing, the discussion seems to be centered on the pilot bearing.

My bad, Owen, et al, I had just come from another thread discussing pilot bearings and didn't shift the mental T85 gears to the throwout bearing.

Yes, on 1956 Golden Hawks, there is a spring which connects to the throwout bearing and it is difficult-to-impossible for one working alone to line up the fork, throwout bearing and spring with the transmission input shaft and pilot bearing.

Worse, there's not really room for two pairs of eyes and hands under there. A transmission jack really helps.

One trick I used sometimes on the Hawks is to install the bell housing on the transmission, then the throwout bearing, fork and spring on the input shaft. Then with the help of a strong friend or a transmission jack, the completed assembly could be raised, aligned, moved forward into the pilot bearing and bolted on.

Whether there's room to do it that way on Packards, I couldn't say, as I never R&R'd a manual transmission in frame.

As for the fork boot, Studebaker International has them for the Hawk, $6.00 [url]http://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~dyndetail~Z5Z5Z50001003a~Z5Z5Z5AAQYT~P0.00~~~~S47Y0N14OX65130217003a~Z5Z5Z5~Z5Z5Z50001003a[/url]

Studebaker International

jack vines

Posted on: 2014/11/28 10:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
I have decided that there is no provision to hook a spring up to anything and after looking at springs for an hour at the HW store, she is just going together without, the was she came apart.

Attach file:

pdf Size: 206.03 KB; Hits: 53

Posted on: 2014/11/29 14:17
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If the bellhousing end is where there is no place to hook a spring perhaps it is like the earlier models. Those have something that looks like an approx 3/16 diameter clevis pin inserted from the rear into a hole in the bellhousing. It has roughly 1/4" of the body sticking thru and the spring then hooks to the hole in the clevis pin. The pins just slide in the hole and if the spring is broken or removed, can easily fall out when the trans is removed. The one on my 47 was missing but was able to replace it with a common hardware store item.

Posted on: 2014/11/29 15:14
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved