Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
40 user(s) are online (24 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 40

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Motor mounts (rear engine stabilizers)
Home away from home
Home away from home

Highlander160
See User information
Hi kids, it's been a while. I'm doubting my memory regarding 1101 (or 1100) rear engine stabilizers. They're little cocked vulcanized mounts from the frame to the bell hosing on the block, the connection of which is by a flat piece of steel from the mount to the bell with 2 bolts. I have OEM photos of a Super 8 and it shows 1 on both sides, and the left is sharing duty with the "dog bone" front to rear stabilizer. Now the question after all of that, does the 1100-01 get 1 on each side or just the right? I'm servicing an 1101 Conv Victoria and it has only 1 on the right, Steel rubber lists only 1 for service under their "Standard Eight" list, and dang it all if I can remembner even after doing so many from the ground up. If any of you proud Eight owners can look at your car to see I'd be greatful for the help. Thanks in advance...

Posted on: 2014/11/26 13:00
 Top  Print   

Re: Motor mounts (rear engine stabilizers)
Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
If you don't get an answer here, I'll look at the car in the museum in a few days for you.

Posted on: 2014/11/26 13:08
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Looking at my 1100, only used on the passenger side; driver's side just has the "dog bone" fore-to-aft stabilizer link.

1933-36 Parts List confirms 1, right side, for 1100-01-02-03-04-05. I don't see anything in the 11th Series Service Letters that called for a running change to add a left-side unit for the Super Eight. I very strongly suspect the 34 Super Eight images you saw with stabilizers on both sides does not reflect actual production.

EDIT: Mis-read the parts list - see later post.

Posted on: 2014/11/26 13:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
my 33 1003 has them on both sides

Posted on: 2014/11/26 20:17

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Highlander160
See User information
What got me scratching my head on this was the photos of a project I may do soon. It's an all original 34 1104 Spt Phaeton (dual cowl). It has them on both sides, as do my photos of Super 8s, and I think it's on another original 34 1104 5P cpe. It makes sense considering the additional heft of the Super 8 I guess. Thanks guys, I'm fairly confident that only 1 is required. You do enough of this and you end up with Packard Jambalya in your head...!!

West, thanks bud. I need to get down there myself soon too.

Posted on: 2014/11/27 8:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Hi Original 1004:

The factory installed one of those snubbers originally. It was on the left side of the motor. What the snubber does is prevent gear hop out under certain situations. Don't ask me how they made this determination. So if your car has two then my guess is the dealer installed a second snubber under direction from the factory to remedy some transmission related symptom.

On the right side of the transmission they installed a stabilizer bar from the trans mount to the right side engine pad mounting bolt. That may be missing from your car.

After all these years the symptom may never appear again, but I wouldn't let any Packard hotshot tell you it should be removed from your car.

Hope this helps.

Posted on: 2014/11/27 8:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I glanced too quickly at the parts list earlier; now it seems quite clear from the parts list. 33-34 Eights had right side only, 33-34 Super Eights had right and left.

Attach file:

jpg  (121.39 KB)
177_547738840e36a.jpg 1020X590 px

Posted on: 2014/11/27 9:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Highlander160
See User information
Well that's it, and thank you very much Owen.

Posted on: 2014/11/28 18:57
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved