Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
37 user(s) are online (26 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 37

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Button retainers for firewall insulation - 37 115 series
Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Does anyone know of a good source for the button retainers that hold the insulation under dash to the firewall?

Posted on: 2014/12/5 22:11
 Top  Print   

Re: Button retainers for firewall insulation - 37 115 series
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
You can use the modern type of push through buttons. They are generally available at parts stores. The originals were metal and had a spreading flat spring to secure the pad the cowl wall. Ask David Flack.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/12/5 23:33
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
correct. the original split shank push pins are not available, and even if they were, you can get a better fit with the newer fasteners. The plastic "christmas tree" style. Problem is, the major chain auto stores sell them in a pack of two, or a mixed pack for more than they are worth. Better bet is to make friends with the manager of your local large auto body repair shop - they will have a cabinet full of them, they come in a few different sizes, and grab a handful in exchange for some cash, lunch, or a favor. After you get your pad where you want it, you can clip off the excess close to the firewall.

Posted on: 2014/12/6 0:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Many Thanks to JW and Flackmaster for the info. I find the original ones to be a real pain to work with. I'll look for the ones you recommended.

Posted on: 2014/12/6 7:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Try looking thru the Au-ve-co website - they provide most of the ones to the industry. Take the Flackmaster's advice and look thru the bins at the hardware store, or painting supply houses and see if you can find one that would work, and then order a bag from Au ve co.

here's the website
http://www.auveco.com/product/auto.html

look under Xmas tree retainers

Posted on: 2014/12/10 22:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
No idea what size the originals were but might check out McMaster-Carr.http://www.mcmaster.com/#ribbed-shank-rivets/=uyywzg Their items called "ribbed shank rivets" appear to be the christmas tree push in clips but don't know if theirs are long enough to accommodate the padding in the diameter you need. Napa might also have something that would work. My local store has a rack of miscellaneous modern body trim supplies including assorted clips and retainers.

Posted on: 2014/12/10 23:46
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Thanks to all of you for this information. I appreciate everyone being so helpful.

Posted on: 2014/12/11 9:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Looking at the Kanter website today, I noticed that they had them for sale for $2.50 each.

Posted on: 2014/12/13 22:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Thank you David !

Posted on: 2014/12/13 23:01
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved