Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
141 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 141

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

putting a timing mark on a 39 120
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I'm messing with the timing again on the 39 120, and I really don't like having to do the static timing with the observation hole under the starter.

I have a timing pointer that I pulled off my spare 50 engine. Has anyone had any luck fitting one or any other type of pointer to a prewar Packard? I had a 40 120 many years ago with a beer can opener brazed to the motor mount if my memory hasn't failed again.

My hope is that since they both use the front engine mount, that it might be able to be fitted to the 39 engine. Using a timing light is much easier, plus I can check the advance as well.
thanks

Posted on: 2014/12/10 22:40
 Top  Print   

Re: putting a timing mark on a 39 120
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Is it unreasonable to assume u will have to mark the pulley too???? So it doesn't matter where the pointer is attached to the block or front cover. Just pick an easy convenient place to bolt on anykind of pointer that is convenient to use.
THen mark the pulley.

Posted on: 2014/12/11 10:24
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Or maybe just use a timing lite thru the hole under the starter????

Posted on: 2014/12/11 10:26
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Here is what I did on my 115C. I made a heavy wire pointer, painted it white, and secured it under one of the timing chain cover bolts on the driver side. Then carefully rolled the engine to where the timing marks on the flywheel indicated TDC. I carefully marked the damper with a thin stripe of white paint to line up the mark with the pointer. Next I did the same for +- 5 deg. and +- 10 deg. Now, when I want to set or check the timing I just point a timing light and the marks are easily seen. Much easier than trying to view the marks on the flywheel.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2014/12/11 12:11
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I find it curious that Packard didn't see fit to put a pointer and index marks on the vibration damper for the junior cars until later (1941?). One wonders why as the senior cars had both the index marks and pointer on the flywheel and on the front vibration damper at least as far back as 1934.

You can just see the pointer in the upper right; there are two sets of degree marks (out of sight in the photo), one for cylinder #1 and another for cylinder #6, the two sets being required because of the dual point and coil ignition used in 33 and 34 and the need to synchronize both sets of points. To do a static timing it's much easier to use the hand crank and a test bulb than to remove the starter motor to see the flywheel markings.

JW's approach seems simple to execute and should work well.

Attach file:

jpg  (105.09 KB)
177_5489d84899c0c.jpg 1280X1044 px

Posted on: 2014/12/11 12:41
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved