Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
148 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 146

Ross, Todd W. White, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Hand cranking
Home away from home
Home away from home

rrhorton
See User information
My rebuilt engine is sitting on the floor waiting for me to get the chassis ready and I need to prep it for winter. I have a juryrigged hand crank that has one of the tangs broken and I cannot rotate the crank by hand even though the plugs are out. I want to coat the cylinder walls with MMO to prevent rusting in this wet northwest area.
Does anyone know where to purchase a handcrank or is there another way to rotate the crankshaft.

Posted on: 2014/12/11 18:30
 Top  Print   

Re: Hand cranking
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
What year and engine?

You could try some leverage at the flywheel with something like a pry bar between the flywheel teeth and the crankcase but BE GENTLE - it's aluminum - and it's OLD. Better way is to find someone who can loan you the proper engine crank or one of those special tools that engages a span of flywheel teeth without having to leverage against the block. I'd bet any local transmission shop that's been in business for a couple of decades would have one of those flywheel tools. As to borrowing a crank, aren't there Packard owners in your immediate area with the same or similar engine?

Posted on: 2014/12/11 18:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

rrhorton
See User information
1928 526 six cyl.

Not many early packard owners close by. I would like to purchase a crank if I could.
The transmission is attached at this point so working with the flywheel is not an option.
I probably should have restored the chassis before the engine but since I had to remove the engine anyway, I got it overhauled first.

Posted on: 2014/12/11 18:49
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There is a lot of 15 assorted cranks on ebay now. Maybe one would fit. If you do a search for Packard hand crank there is another unidentified single for about half the price of the entire lot buy it now price.

Posted on: 2014/12/11 18:55
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

28Pack526
See User information
Hi rrhorton,

I faced something similar with my then non-running '28 5-26. I needed to rotate the engine for various reasons leading up to its first start in several years and didn't have a crank or know of one close by.

I took a spare 22mm impact socket I had lying around, loaded it into my bench vise and ground a 0.375" wide slot (0.5" deep or so) into either side with an angle grinder. I then lined the inside of the socket with a bit of rubber tape to keep it from chewing up the crank stud. That socket, a 1/2" drive extension, and a 24" breaker bar worked like a champ.

Posted on: 2014/12/11 21:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Put trans in HIGH gear and roatate the shaft of the trans to turn the engine????

Posted on: 2014/12/11 21:53
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

rrhorton
See User information
I will try the socket mod tomorrow. Thanks for the idea.

Posted on: 2014/12/11 21:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
I was presented with the same challenge. While I'm restoring my '32 I did not want it sitting around without seeing the cylinder walls were coated with oil. I used the socket approach.

I bought a 1/2" drive what I remember as a 7/8" socket. I used a hi speed rotary cut-off wheel to cut 2 notches in the the socket.

I use a breaking bar to turn over the engine every 3 months or so.

Attach file:

jpg  (48.62 KB)
1063_548db191afbc0.jpg 1280X1189 px

Posted on: 2014/12/14 10:49
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

rrhorton
See User information
Thanks to all for the suggestions. I did notch a socket and it worked like a charm.

Posted on: 2014/12/14 13:42
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved