Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
75 user(s) are online (48 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 74

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7)

Re: 1940 160 convertible sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
My apologies to all I offended or upset (My apologies, Ernie. You're the kindest guy on this forum.), especially the Carribean Dude, in defending the authenticity of not only my own, but any 1940 160 convertible sedan being judged fake because it has friction vent windows or door handles identical to a 120, etc. I hope everyone is straight on that issue now thanks to Steve (stevep516), his inquiring mind and his research, and the list above, especially in the face of some strong opinions and advice from those with reputations for being in the know. I am the first to acknowledge you admitted your mistake and had an Aha! moment. And I hope that we can put a check on assuming any seller of a car bearing a component that was not on it the day it left the factory is a charlatan.

I know everyone does not believes that people are basically honest, as I do. Andy Grove led a very successful life based on paranoia. Many believe the sheep ate the rose, but I am an optimist. I believe sunlight disinfects, not engenders more corruption.

When the usual suspects didn't have an Stromberg AAV-26 carburetor, I could have kicked myself for paying $1100 to a seller in AZ. Maybe he didn't know the actual value, either. I wish I'd had this forum to check then, but it was before BigKev started packardinfo.com. Not everyone shares the pollyanna nature that allows me to take apart things I can't put back together on my own, not to mention documenting my mistakes for all Packardom in restoring my car. My car wouldn't be restored if it weren't for this forum because I started out with only a pair of pliers and the ability to clean off parts without damaging them most of the time. I know I put up a lot of superfluous stuff that has helped a few see what they were getting into before they got into it. And we're all here to help other Packard owners get the right info, Howard especially, and avoid doing something stupid where they could hurt themselves in any way, including financially. Likewise we could be more aware of harming people at the other end of the transaction, which I saw here. At times, Craig's Listings might be another.

I understand that authentic is more valuable, Caribbean Dude, but fake-aloo does cost less - $150K less on the Darrins, half a mil less on the runabouts. That half a million difference might put just as big a smile on my face as knowing I had The original data plate.

But I didn't think the first 5 pages of this thread should have been glossed over like the last line of an Emily Litella monologue. Yes, it hit a little too close to home for me because I have an early 1940 car and because of my friend Dave Charvet, but I think it has broader application and serves as a caution.

Again I'm sorry. Sometimes when I'm angry and have a pen in my hand, I don't play fair.

Posted on: 2018/3/13 11:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Joe
No one else to blame except me for starting this thread, but I believe it all ended up being for the good. I admitted that I was wrong, learned something, and apologized immediately following the insight of new information (to me, and obviously to a few others). That apology was more than a "sort of."

The car looked hastily restored and put together, which was the other red flag that it might be a fake. That is why the original data plate is so important.

A big Thank You goes out to Steve for his diligent research and questions that ultimately increased the knowledge about these cars to more than just a few people.

Posted on: 2018/3/13 12:41
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

SteveP516
See User information
Gents,
I would like to reinforce my comments back in the original post of Dec 2014 that this forum provides a great deal of information and reinforce the fact that the amount of expertise shared here is invaluable. I am so appreciative of the fact that I can ask any question and I get an immediate response.

I don't comment a lot but I do read just about every post.
I'm sure that I will asking many questions in the future as I have just started the restoration of my 1377. I just need to come up with a name that's as cool as the Duchess!!
Cheers ,
Steve P

Posted on: 2018/3/17 17:57
Steve P
Forest, Va

1929 645 Dual Cowl Phaeton
1937 120C Conv Coupe
1940 1389 Conv Coupe
1940 1377 Super 8 160 Conv Sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Marty or Marston
See User information
PairOf40's

Posted on: 2018/3/18 9:18
 Top  Print   

« 1 ... 4 5 6 (7)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved