Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
111 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 109

Ozstatman, 53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

glass fuel bowl
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

missedgear
See User information
hi just started my 55 clipper constellation and fuel started leaking from the top of the fuel filter housing, not the bowl itself but the gasket at the top. not sure this is a standard item as it says MILAGE MINDER on the cap when i took the cap off there were 2 gaskets so not sure if it should be 1 or 2. i would like to renew the unit as there is no filter in the bowl, would like to know if one from a GM car (or any other) would fit i live in scotland and can get one of those in the uk. thanks Jamie

Posted on: 2015/1/3 7:47
 Top  Print   

Re: glass fuel bowl
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jimmy Scichilone
See User information
Just bought one for my '55 Patrician.....I accidentally broke the glass bowl from mine while cleaning the filter. The one in the link below is the one I bought and was an easy install because its dimensions/threads/etc were an exact match. My original one had the hard to clean stone filter....this one has a replacement paper type filter.... FYI....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/GLASS-FUEL-FILTER-AC-DELCO-EMBOSSED-FUEL-FILTER-CORVETTE-1954-1955-1956-57-58-/221571117813?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3396aaf2f5

Posted on: 2015/1/3 8:11
De Mortuis Nil Nisi Bonum...Speak Only Good Of The Dead.....
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If it is the stock filter it would most likely be mfg by Carter and the name would be displayed prominently on the top. There would be a single multi holed gasket like this one Max sells for the original filter. If not the stock assy, it is hard to guess what you might have. The filter was an item sold by many gas stations and aftermarket suppliers over here. It was available in several brands, sizes and configurations so there are lots of possibilities. About the most common feature was most were threaded US 1/8 pipe for the ports.

The ceramic elements for the originals are starting to be somewhat hard to find --as you can see from the price Max lists for them which is more than the entire filter assy 56AmbassadorV8 posted with the ebay link . There were several sizes and Packard used one of the smaller ones. IIRC, it is a bit smaller than the ones GM used which is the most common type elements easily available today.

If you can find a complete filter assy locally and it is one that you can easily buy elements for in the future it might be a better choice than buying just a new element and gasket -- particularly if there is some doubt about yours being original.

Posted on: 2015/1/3 10:14
Howard
 Top  Print   

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
Also... The entire assembly, as well as replacement fuel bowls and gaskets are sold at Tractor Supply stores. Sold under the Tisco name.

Old tractors used the same type of fuel filters.

Posted on: 2015/1/6 17:50
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

missedgear
See User information
hello again the glass bowl from my car is not an original item. knowing the filter from a GM car will fit think this is the best and easiest route for me to go, should be able to source one in the UK. thanks for the help Jamie

Posted on: 2015/1/10 9:37
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
We do carry them and ship to the UK if you are unable to locate one on your side of the pond.

Thanks
James
Kanter Auto Product

Posted on: 2015/1/12 13:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
E and M auto parts in El Cajon CA. has lots of used glass bowls. most types.. i have seen some that look like carter size,

deal with older car parts, as i got a few packard used water pumps there.

2 brothers run the place, one, has a 59 stude...

Posted on: 2015/1/29 22:30
Riki
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved