Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
124 user(s) are online (77 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 123

Tom (Packin31), more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Anyone have '55 or '56 Caribbean carbs on the shelf?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
I need to borrow one or both carbs to identify the secondary idle circuit differences between the 2x4 and 1x4 carbs.

If any here have the Carib carbs, I'll pay shipping and insurance both ways and post what I learn here.

Alternately, if you just want to sell them, PM me with details.

jack vines

Posted on: 2015/1/7 16:29
 Top  Print 

Re: Anyone have '55 or '56 Caribbean carbs on the shelf?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin
See User information
If you don't get a reply from anyone else, I do have a pair for my '55, but I don't know if I have them with the car or in the workshop. Where are you located?

Posted on: 2015/1/7 18:10
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Hi, Kevin,

If we have to pay the UPS/FedEx fees, maybe that's what it's going to take.

I'm in Spokane, WA 99223.

jack vines

Posted on: 2015/1/8 12:42
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Isn't there also a significant difference between 55 and 56 duals. I know they added the aux or velocity control throttle plates to the secondaries on the 56 dual carb setup but I seem to recall a mention about another change in conjunction.

Posted on: 2015/1/8 13:07
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
I have a copy of a Rochester Bulletin that details the differences between the Standard and Caribbean carburetors for 1955 and 1956.

There may be copyright issues, so I don't want to post it on this site but can scan a copy and send it privately by email.

Posted on: 2015/1/8 13:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Why not call Daytona parts and talk to Tim?

He might be able to answer your questions or contact you when they have a pair down there for service.

Posted on: 2015/1/8 17:31
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
I'm a big fan of Daytona Carbs and they did the pair of 1x4s I'm running on my '56 Caribbean setup in my '55 Studebaker pickup. They worked perfectly out of the box.

However, Rochester disabled the secondary idle circuits on the OEM 2X4 carbs because eight idle circuits are too rich on decel.

I've spoken with them at length about this project and they prefer to rebuild to stock specifications. Modifying carbs is an unknown and they prefer not to go there. Might work, might not and then who's to fix it?

In my case, I've got a running driving Carib engine with an O2 sensor installed in the exhaust. Thus, I've got a baseline and the ability to monitor and measure what modified carbs are doing.

jack vines

Posted on: 2015/1/9 12:45
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
I saw this thread from earlier and I was wondering if Jack or anyone else has resolved the multiple issues which plague these carbs- esp the 1955 4GC. It was 5 yrs or so when I got a kit from Daytona and at that time float assms were not available. It seems they have been for a couple yrs so one issue resolved but what about the acc pump issues and the new fuel blends and their volatility issues. It seems a web search will confirm the same issues occross multiple makes for the 1955 rochester. I realize these may be sent out for resto but those who have orig ones with the carb # stamped may not wish to send out and also those who wish to renew all items themselves rather than leave it to someone else. I did call Tim about the discrepancies in the plunger and the tbody/ bowl gasket and was not satisfied with the explanation. I did see another post showing carb tags and casting #s and I am wondering if some of these were dealer replacements or jobber remans done back in the day these cars were daily drivers. Were all the orig 55 4gc s stamped with the # or just the early prod? Anyone have a vin breakpoint on this ?

Posted on: 2015/11/27 20:05
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Your comment about the multiple issues which plague these carbs.... caught my attention. How about elaborating? - I had my '56 Rochesters rebuilt by Daytona perhaps 13 or 14 years ago, they performed superbly then and still do today - no accelerator pump or other issues. Not that I wouldn't rather have WCFBs but the Rochesters have been totally trouble-free for perhaps 15,000 miles.

Posted on: 2015/11/28 9:36
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
several years ago, I called Daytona and was told they could build a set of 55s for me. As I remember they mentioned using a pair of 55 Olds carbs.

Posted on: 2015/11/28 10:25
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved