Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
148 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 147

Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Continental Kit doesn't fit
Just popping in
Just popping in

Walt Miles
See User information
i recently bought a Continental Kit for my 51 convertible. I have since found all of the missing parts. The problem is that the flat sheet metal that spans the gap between the car and the extended bumper has a cutout to fit around the bottom of the tail light towers and this cut-out is too pronounced. Apparently the piece is designed for a senior car? Too deep a cut to fit mine. Anyone know of a source for this piece? Thanks Walt

Posted on: 2015/1/12 12:58
 Top  Print   

Re: Continental Kit doesn't fit
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Might be for a senior sedan but might also be for a Caribbean where they grafted a few inches of the senior rear end with tail lights onto the regular convertible body. Wouldn't expert there are a lot of those panels floating around so worst case you might have to resort to a body shop modifying that one or having a new panel custom made.

Posted on: 2015/1/12 13:14
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
HH56 is correct that the '53 and '54 Caribbeans had their rear body work modified to fit the continental kit. I believe they shortened the trunk lid, and modified the inner part of the rear fenders to fit to the shortened lid; hence, the deeper cut of the panel around the fender. This was to provide more room for the tire kit without extending the length of the body the full amount of the kit's depth. A novel approach to fitting a continental kit. Also, if I recall correctly the '53 Caribbeans used a metal panel between the body and bumper that fit around the tire, and the '54s used a fiberglass panel which was differently shaped.

(o{}o)

Edit: I got out my copy of 1951 - 1954 Packard by Bob Neal and read through the 1953 Caribbean part. It seems one of Teague's suggestions for modifying a standard convertible to resemble the Pan American show car was to lengthen the rear fenders. To me, the rear fenders on the Caribbeans do not look any longer than those on the convertibles, but this is only comparing photographs. Still, it does not seem the fenders were lengthened enough to accommodate the width of the continental style spare tire; so, maybe both modifications were done, the longer fenders and shorter trunk lid? I am hope someone here who is knowledgeable about this will share their knowledge. Thanks.

Posted on: 2015/1/12 14:28
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Walt(crescentmei),
Although a PackardInfo member for quite some time, first post so,

And I invite you to include your '51 Convertible Coupe(with or without continental kit) in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2015/1/12 22:34
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Caribbeandude
See User information
your continental kit came off of a 1952 Patrician with a slightly different rear fender fit, these senior sedan kits are nearly impossible to find

the 53-54 Caribbeans actually have a senior rear fender section grafted onto them, if you look inside the trunk in the taillight area you can see the end of the std. convertible rear fender taillight area still remaining, the Caribbean trunk lids are the same size as regular convertibles, the Caribbeans had a unique continental kit especially made for them so the Continental kit was designed to fit the body modifications made by Ionia Manufacturing Company. The regular 53 and 54 continental kits for the coupes and standard convertibles were not the same as the Caribbeans. Also the 53 Caribbean and 54 Caribbean continental kits are vastly different.

Posted on: 2015/1/13 2:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

For comparison, these photos were taken as nearly at the same position as possible. Actual dimensions and internal structure of the Caribbean trunk would better show how the modifications were done.

Steve

Attach file:

jpg  (52.71 KB)
409_54b523202aa26.jpg 900X585 px

jpg  (48.66 KB)
409_54b5233fc0099.jpg 900X614 px

Posted on: 2015/1/13 8:53
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Caribbeandude
See User information
remember that when comparing photos that the 2 door hardtops had a different deeper trunk lid than the convertibles so the scale reference looks a tad off on this photo comparison

Posted on: 2015/1/13 12:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
The senior-style tail lights on the 53 Caribbeans were bolt-on parts and the 54 Caribbeans had senior rear fender sections grafted on for the senior tail lights, correct? What is the verdict on the trunk lids, modified or not?

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/1/13 12:14
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Didn't the 53 kit sit upright vrs the 54 that leaned toward the trunk?

Posted on: 2015/1/13 12:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Looking at the gas filler doors on the two photos, it looks to me as if the fenders on the '54 Caribbean have been lengthened a few inches. This is probably true for the '53 models too.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/1/13 14:17
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved