Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
97 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 96

Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

23 series Differential rebuild
Home away from home
Home away from home

Deskdriver
See User information
A few weeks ago while driving to the local car show, I heard what sounds like the u joints going out. Ordered new ones and made the changes. A little less noise, but....there is a lot of play in differential. The seal is bad and probably leaking for some time (There is oil in the unit).

So I am looking at rebuilding or having it rebuilt. Any suggestions? Should I keep the same gear ratio (2392 manual 3 speed) or change it? Any recommendations on a shop (Hoping Howard might know someone around his area he would recommend). I am pretty good mechanically and could install a rebuilt unit but not able to rebuilt the unit itself. I guess I can remove the rear end and ship it if needed (Thought it would look nice cleaned and repainted, but this car is a driver).

Thanks in advance for your help and resources.
B

Posted on: 2015/1/17 22:24
[url=http://packardinf
 Top  Print 

Re: 23 series Differential rebuild
Home away from home
Home away from home

Deskdriver
See User information
Guess this one slipped through the cracks.

Was hoping to get some insight on the '49 differential.

Thanks for you help.

Posted on: 2015/1/24 13:39
[url=http://packardinf
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
You should be able to handle the rebuild, Rear ends are not a hard job.

If you can, look on the flat tab on the housing toward the yoke and see if it has two B's stamped on it. (may have to scrape some paint) If you do, this unit has a 1/16" shim on the pinion and if it wears or is left out upon assembly the rear end will be noisy.

New bearings and shims should shore it right up.

Posted on: 2015/1/24 13:55
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Wish I could help on a mechanic reference but the ones I knew around here that would look at a Packard have retired or worse. I'm essentially in the same boat you are. There is always Custom Auto in Santa Ana but we are talking top dollar and they are not that close.

Posted on: 2015/1/24 14:33
Howard
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved