Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
127 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 125

speedster1930, DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Removing steering wheel from 1941 Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
I have removed several steering wheels from cars in the 60's. I am about to remove one from a 41 Packard, is there anything unique about how to remove the horn ring or anything else that may be different from other cars. I'm assuming the horn button is pressed on ? Thank you

Posted on: 2015/1/21 10:27
 Top  Print 

Re: Removing steering wheel from 1941 Packard
Home away from home
Home away from home

Phil Randolph
See User information
I removed the horn button on my 38 by pushing it in and rotating it. Then you just remove the nut and yank-kinda.

Posted on: 2015/1/21 10:45
1938 1601 Club Coupe
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Thank you Phil

Posted on: 2015/1/21 10:48
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Others will confirm but depending on wheel the horn ring could also be screwed on and the button is attached to the ring from the inside. Clippers were and maybe some of the conventional bodies used the same wheel. Look carefully at the hub in the area close to the wheel -- shroud separation for access holes. If you find some it requires a small screwdriver from the back to remove the screws. 3 locations on wheels I've seen.

If the wheel just yanks off great, but most I've removed needed a puller which also means disconnecting or removing the horn wire to avoid damage.

Posted on: 2015/1/21 10:49
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Chad G
See User information
I had the steering wheel off of my 41 a few weeks back. The horn ring was screwed on.

Once I got the nut off of the steering column, the spring pressure just about pushed the wheel off of the column. No puller necessary on mine.

-Chad

Posted on: 2015/1/21 20:28
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved