Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
126 user(s) are online (84 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 126

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Canadian Vehicle Number Plate
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jampard
See User information
Recently I found a couple of pictures of vehicle number plates of Packards made in Canada on this Website, but now I can't find them again after doing many searches various ways.
I don't recall which Forum it was in.

It turns out that one of the plate pictures has the same vehicle number that my car has (1182558).

I would like to find out who submitted that picture so I can determine if is from my 1938 Packard which was made in Canada. I have lost the vehicle number plate from my car now, I don't recall what it looked like for sure. I think mine was in better condition and it had the patent numbers on it. I recall mine being Brass.

I'm going to have a reproduction vehicle number plate made, so I would like it to be as accurate as possible of the original plate.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jim

Attach file:

jpg  (30.92 KB)
5149_54c160ea2a22a.jpg 500X335 px

Posted on: 2015/1/22 15:44
 Top  Print   

Re: Canadian Vehicle Number Plate
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The patent plate picture you posted was originally posted by me from my collection of patent plate photographs. What made it unique was that while Detroit production used a decal in 1938, Packard-Canada continued to use a metal plate. The photo of the plate (and the car) were supplied to me by Charles Phinney who I believe was the owner of the car at that time. At the time the car was a brilliant (non-Packard color?) blue, see photo below. The photo of the car in my file has a "created" date of April 22, 2010.

Attach file:

jpg  (95.92 KB)
177_54c16c1c6d7cf.jpg 1280X807 px

Posted on: 2015/1/22 16:27
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jampard
See User information
Thank you very very much.
That is the 1938 Packard Model 1600 Touring Sedan that I now own. It is nearly completely restored now. I bought this car in 2012.
Now I can have a reproduction Brass plate made that will look just like the original one only better.

Thanks again for your prompt help with this mystery.
Jim

Posted on: 2015/1/22 19:57
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

Jampard
See User information
Is there any way to find out how many 1938 model 1182 Packards were made in Canada?

I tried doing searches on this Website without any luck.

I just wanted to find out how many cars like mine were made.

Thanks,
Jim

Posted on: 2015/1/23 14:07
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Total Canadian production by year is known, but to my knowledge there is no breakdown by model. But based on your VN you know there were at least 458 like yours (Canadian production started at 101 for 1938).

Posted on: 2015/1/23 14:21
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved