Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
112 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 112

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Howard Hughes Caribbean
Home away from home
Home away from home

Caribbeandude
See User information
I do not see why folks are arguing, Leeedy has published articles that I have read for over 40 years that have been a major plus and info source for all of us. Many of you have not even read these great articles. His correct info has been misquoted many times from my reading comparisons. Heck two weeks ago someone was even arguing with him telling him this car was NOT the Howard Hughes car! He has shared these and info on this forum for years. This web forum has the best info on Packard cars, options, colors, repair hints of any source on planet earth. Just simply ask the questions and the experts will answer FREE OF CHARGE. Just take all opinions and sort through them to derive at the answers you need. There are probably over 20 well restored correct 55 caribbeans out there to look at for info. And I thank God that Packard folks are not as anal retentive on numbers-matching, correct date codes as the Corvette folks are. Packard changed many things during each years production runs, especially 54-56 when the end was near. Packards are different creatures than other cars, and that's what makes them so darn neat!

My main point is: Just ask the questions on originality you need and you will get them answered on this forum. Someone may not spend 40 to 100 hours and scan all the info they have and post it or send it to you but they will answer each question one at a time or grouped together ANYTIME!

Posted on: 2015/1/26 1:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
It would be interesting to hear from others experiences on this topic. Ewrecks seems to have had similar issues others have encountered. I can post my specific experience and outcome for ref. Dude, I have to disagree with your statements.
Encountering these atttitudes as a younger man, I would have paid for the info and made it available to all free upon request to punish the offenders but now age and experience has taught me that this would only cause a "change" or update in the judging criteria as those who feel they have some "important info" to protect scramble to maintain their perceived importance. Like I said- Its all about the money, not about preserving "true" correctness.

These same preservationists are also the ones addind all available options to their cars even though the vehicle never originally was equipped for judging purposes. Dual 4 barrels and a/c etc. Sham
These attitudes along with the Hoarding and charging for info are what drive enthusiasts away from the preservation side of the hobby.

Posted on: 2015/1/26 8:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
I would like to mention 1 more thing. The attitude is very clear in the post above.
The crudeness and irreverence is sometimes a reaction to the pampas egotistical nature of those who are " better informed".
I also will say that this site and many of its members have been a great help and very informative . Thanks to all who do it without attitude or prejudice.

Posted on: 2015/1/26 8:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Caribbeandude
See User information
I really have no idea what you are talking about. You are complaining that folks are not sharing the research and info you are seeking when in fact these photos have been published in articles a generation ago. Leeedy said that you can go to the Packard Clubs and buy back issues or find these back issues on ebay. Are you expecting them to spend countless hours scanning them and posting them on this site when these articles and photos are legally copyrighted? I applaud the time and sweat these folks took to find and publish this info and share with all. I am a simple minded old country boy perhaps but I just don't understand why you are complaining about this. Do you object to finding and buying back issues of magazines? what exactly do you want Leeedy or other people to do for you? I am confused but also I may not be the sharpest crayon in the box either

Posted on: 2015/1/26 12:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin
See User information
The Motor Trend article on the Howard Hughes/Jean Peters Caribbean was from the 1973 to 1975 era, IIRC. Issues of that magazine pop up on eBay and at swap meets regularly.

Posted on: 2015/1/27 11:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin
See User information
Some of Leeedy's original photography of the Jean Peters Caribbean can be seen athttp://www.packardclub.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=686&start=30

Posted on: 2015/1/27 11:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Kevin
See User information
Sorry for the run 'n gun posts here, trying to post during lunchtime while juggling a few other things...

To find the feature in The Packard Cormorant magazine on the Howard Hughes/Jean Peters Caribbean, you can search the index of The Cormorant/The Packard Comorant over athttp://www.packardclub.org/download/PAC_Cormorant_Index_through_issue_153.pdf

It's in Issue 18 (I think that's Spring 1980), Page 22. Again, this article was written by Leeedy for The Packard Club.

You might be able to buy old issues from the Club, but if not, if you are a Packard Club member, you probably have other members close to you who have these past issues and will let you borrow them.

It's reasons like these -- mutual interest, mutual support, and support of original research -- that make it pay to belong to old car clubs, and The Packard Club in particular.

Posted on: 2015/1/27 11:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Caribbeandude
See User information
thank you for sharing this great info!!!

Posted on: 2015/1/27 14:17
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Leedy had an informative article in the current edition of The Cormorant News Bullitin. It might be old news to some, but for me it was interesting.

Posted on: 2015/1/27 14:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Which article was his?

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/1/29 16:22
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved