Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
107 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 107

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Horn-like sound when I come to a stop in a '52 300
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Thunderbolt
See User information
Sometimes when I'm slowing to a stop or stopped altogether the car makes a horn-like moaning noise coming from the front. It's slow and steadily gets noisier. I beeped the horns when it was happening once and confirmed it's not that. Yesterday I parked the car, removed the key, and as I walked away from her she made the the noise for a few seconds. That threw out my idea of an idler pulley and the intake. FYI she's got power brakes and I think its time for a new diaphragm - the pedal goes to the floor when it's hot. Could this be a strange vacuum noise?

Also thank you to everyone for your help.

Posted on: 2015/1/26 7:08
 Top  Print 

Re: Horn-like sound when I come to a stop in a '52 300
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Since it happened when you stopped the engine I would also wonder if the noise is coming as steam or air escaped the radiator cap. Maybe pushing the seal off the seat just enough to have it flutter.

As to it being vacuum, it is possible the check valve is dirty and not sealing well letting vacuum in the reservoir pull air past the valve setting up some kind of vibration. Same with valves inside the vacuum section of booster. If you stop the engine, as long as the check valve, hoses, and internal brake parts are all in good condition the reservoir should hold vacuum for a few minutes. If it doesn't then time to investigate.

I am more concerned about the pedal going to the floor. That has nothing to do with vacuum. As others on the forum can attest with their own BTV pedal to the metal experiences, that sounds like an adventure or an accident in waiting.

Posted on: 2015/1/26 11:04
Howard
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Thunderbolt
See User information
Yeah a shop rebuilt the master and wheel cylinders and still looses the pedal sometimes. I use direct gear in town which helps slow the car. When going down a hill I sometimes have to put a foot on either side of the pedal and pump back and forth. It's severe but she stops. The brakes are actually more reliable with the engine off an no power assist.

My friends say it's the treadle vac and to get the deluxe rebuild kit with the diaphragm.

Posted on: 2015/1/26 14:05
 Top  Print 

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Thunderbolt
See User information
I think it was low on coolant. I topped it off and haven't heard the noise since. Is this like the full gas tank whistle on the 23rd series?

Posted on: 2015/1/26 16:21
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved