Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
58 user(s) are online (39 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 58

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1951 windshield wiper question
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

gregb(peoria, il)
See User information
I'm just getting around to hooking up my wipers. Everything was disconnected when I got the car. My vacuum pump on the fuel pump is not operating, so I have connected the wiper motor directly to the vacuum port on the intake manifold. The wiper motor moves very slowly about halfway and then stay there. My question is, does the vacuum from the manifold provide enough vacuum to operate the wipers, or must the fuel pump vacuum be operating for them to work. I'm trying to decide whether my next step is the fuel pump or the wiper motor.

Posted on: 2015/1/26 8:23
 Top  Print   

Re: 1951 windshield wiper question
Home away from home
Home away from home

Gerard O'Keefe
See User information
I would send my fuel pump to J Gould for a rebuild and the wiper motor to Ficken wiper service for the same.

Posted on: 2015/1/26 8:27
 Top  Print   

Re: 1951 windshield wiper question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
To answer you question directly, an engine in good condition and tune should have 18-20 inches of manifold vacuum, more than adequate to give good wiper operation at all times except under heavy acceleration. The vacuum booster pump only provides vacuum boost under conditions of acceleration. So if you engine is up to snuff and at idle the wipers fail to function properly when connected diretly to the intake manifold, either you've got some vacuum leaks along the line or the motor needs rebuilding.

Posted on: 2015/1/26 8:58
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved