Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
54 user(s) are online (41 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 6
Guests: 48

Oldcaddies , Ross, happy, kevinpackard, Joe, BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Exhaust Pipe Routing
Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
Hello all. I have been searching for information on the routing of the exhaust for a "49, 23rd Series, with the 288, without sucess. Primarily after the muffler. I know where it goes through the frame, but need direction as to where it is suppose to go when it goes over the rear axle. Would someone mind posting a picture(s) or pm me and I will respond with my e-mail address so that pictures can be sent to me directly. Much appreciated! Thanks in advance for all that help. Cheers!

Posted on: 2015/1/26 19:56
If it won't move, get a bigger wrench.
If it breaks, it needed fixing anyway.

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Re: Exhaust Pipe Routing
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Until some real detaill photos come along, here is starters from lube info page of the service counselor and parts manual.

Attach file:

jpg  (46.97 KB)
209_54c6e9f26b465.jpg 408X807 px

jpg  (25.10 KB)
209_54c6eb3855449.jpg 962X294 px

Posted on: 2015/1/26 20:30
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

dallas
See User information
Send me your e-mail. I have some photos from my 46 which should be same.

Posted on: 2015/1/26 22:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Schematic is right. After it comes out the muffler, there's a rubber hanger. Then it routes over the rearend to a hanger off the frame rail by the trunk cross member the tail pipe clamps to. It runs inside the frame rail between gas tank and exits below the bumper. If it doesn't fit exactly, it's probably bent wrong. "C" bend is vertical over the rearend. I got my trunk pan and gas tank out with new exhaust still on, but won't be back in the garage for pix until Tomorrow night, if you need more info.

Posted on: 2015/1/27 21:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
Thanks guys. Howard, I saw that picture, it's close, but where I'm stymied is the routing over the rear axle. There's a brace, and the shock. I need to know how it runs when it goes over the axle and that picture, unfortunately does not offer enough detail. I have pipes that are suppose to be bent as per factory, just need the routing, because that ones I took off the car, the tail ended up under the hole in the bumper for the jack. That can't be right!

Thanks to all who have responded. I am stuck to a degree because I have the axle pipe through the hole in the frame and partially installed. Not sure if it's in the correct spot, and I haven't figured how I got it in there 'cause I can't get it back out ....as of yet.

Posted on: 2015/1/27 21:36

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
The photos in this thread may help

Rear sway bar damper

Also see pages 2 and 7 in the chassis section of the 1948 Salesman's Data Book for some factory illustrations

Posted on: 2015/1/27 21:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
Thanks BDeB. Most helpful.

Posted on: 2015/1/28 9:18

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
Pipes are in. Thanks to all for the assistance.

Posted on: 2015/2/2 11:18

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Hill
See User information
Hello all. I need a little more assistance with the exhaust. This time it's with the hangers. Because my exhaust was a MacGyvered system, I am replacing with one from Kepich. So far, so good. I am trying to determine the hanger position. In post #2 Howard put a side view picture of the exhaust that shows a hangar at the rear of the muffler. So my wanting to put one there is correct. Would someone mind posting a picture from under their car of the detail that is shown above the muffler in that side view? To me it looks like that there is some brackets coming of something that support the pipes. Thanks again in advance for the help.

Posted on: 2015/4/2 13:46

Mark

1949 Deluxe
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe this is the one you mean. Jeff posted a photo of the mount which goes on bellhousing at side of engine about halfway or two thirds down his post 45. The strap is partially blocked in the photo but wraps around and is supported near the top of bellhousing

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?post_id=134760#forumpost134760

Posted on: 2015/4/2 14:59
Howard
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved