Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
75 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 74

Packardbarry, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Re: 1956 Caribbean hardtop options on a Four Hundred
Home away from home
Home away from home

Joel Ray
See User information
I found the build sheet for my 1956 400 under the rear seat. Take a look, you never know.

Posted on: 2015/1/30 15:54
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
Wow! Was that luck! I removed my seats some time ago and didn't find anything... perhaps under the carpet? I will have to take a look some day!

Thanks!

Posted on: 2015/1/30 16:10
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
From the V8 roster

-3656 82 ?-Unknown- Original sent CKD to Mexico
-3657 82 ?-Unknown- Original sent CKD to Mexico
-3658 85 ?-Unknown- Original sent CKD to Mexico
-3659 85 ?-Unknown- Original sent CKD to Mexico
-3660 87 ?-Unknown- Original sent CKD to Mexico
-3661 87 ?-Unknown- Original sent CKD to Mexico

What does CKD mean?

Posted on: 2015/1/30 19:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information

Posted on: 2015/1/30 21:10
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave Brownell
See User information
Now that you know that your Packard did time at Packard's Puebla assembly point (today, the hub of VW's vast facility that churns out thousands of Golfs, Beetles and other lines each day) and started out as a CKD car, you can also take some consolation in the fact it was within the last five hundred or so Four Hundred hardtops produced in the spring of 1956.

Mine (5687-4121) is also among the last produced with only 103 Four Hundreds behind it. Both of us have the benefits of most of the production improvements Packard made in the 56s, including the stronger rear axles and differentials. So, keep that beautiful hood and know that yours is a fitting example of Packard's automotive art and pride.

I also hope that as things were winding down some Detroit factory parts picker wasn't scavenging the unimproved dusty bits and pieces that were tucked away so that our cars could be put together without reordering new production from a supplier. After all, with the downtimes and erratic production schedules those last few months, most Packard workers might have suspected that time was of the essence, no matter the slogans like "nothing can stop us now."

Posted on: 2015/1/31 9:11
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Victor
See User information
This is VERY interesting information for me. Thanks a lot!

I never would have thought the car was assembled in Mexico as cars down here were sold with speedometers in kilometers (including Cadillacs, Packards or any car as far as I know off). One other curious thing is cars down here were generally very austere or plain. Normally they had manual windows, no heaters... and my car has both the underseat heater, defroster, electric windows, etc.

Is it known what CKD meant in the sense of how were cars sent out of Detroit? Was that in primer, or with parts unassembled? Curious mind wants to know...

Thanks,
Victor

Posted on: 2015/2/1 14:03
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
A couple of thoughts:

The "CKD" condition of the car would make me tend to believe the Caribbean hood was sent with the car. Why would they switch it in Mexico, if it was delivered that way? And would it make much difference to the guys picking the parts if they put in an upgraded hood that would fit?

Quote from DaveB845:

"...as things were winding down some Detroit factory parts picker wasn't scavenging the unimproved dusty bits..."

Scavenging a Carib hood could have been considered an improvement. As has been said before, lots of strange stuff going on in those days, and probably even stranger stuff with the exports.

ONE THING THAT MAY TELL THE TAIL:

Does it have a hood prop? The Carib hoods needed a prop because of the extra weight of the "scoops." If it doesn't, it would seem to be a strong indication that the hood was an ad-on. (If it does, I guess it wouldn't mean much either way, unless it looks as though the prop were installed in some odd way.)

A few pics under the hood showing the mountings for the hood and prop (if present) might reveal indications of whether the hood was replaced at some point.

P.S. Some folks have reported finding build sheets on the glove box. Like gold, build sheets are wherever you find 'em.

Posted on: 2015/2/7 15:36
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
ONE THING THAT MAY TELL THE TAIL: Does it have a hood prop? The Carib hoods needed a prop because of the extra weight of the "scoops."

The 55 Caribs had the hood prop rod, the 56 hood was an entirely new stamping without the lead work used in 55 and did not require the rod.

As far as some factory assembly line folks choosing a Caribbean hood for a non-Caribbean, it seems highly unlikely but I guess anything is possible. The late decision to build the additional 24 Caribbean convertibles and 13 hardtops (do I recall the numbers correctly?) would have cut deeply into the stock of Caribbean hoods and other spares intended for factory stock, as indicated by how hard some of these parts were to obtain from Packard even a few years after the cars were built.

Posted on: 2015/2/7 15:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
No idea how much it might have changed for 56 but here is a 21st series knocked down for export shipment.https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=9328&cid=48

Posted on: 2015/2/7 17:17
Howard
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

QMopar
See User information
The collective knowledge on this site is so vast I am reading each post like a kid in a candy store.

Posted on: 2015/2/8 11:14
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved