Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
152 user(s) are online (95 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 152

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Best head gasket for the 352?
Home away from home
Home away from home

portlandon
See User information
I am wanting to replace the headgaskets in my '352 before I drop it back in.

Who is the best manufacturer to look for? I see some on ebay, but worry that they might be substandard.

Any ideas are appreciated!

Posted on: 2015/1/27 17:34
 Top  Print 

Re: Best head gasket for the 352?
Home away from home
Home away from home

bobp
See User information
I purchased mine on ebay 3 1/2 years ago, no problems yet. It was the "Best Gasket" sold by various sellers. I purchased the full set but see you can get just the head gaskets.

Posted on: 2015/1/27 19:18
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JT120
See User information
You could check with Olsons Gaskets for a NOS.

Posted on: 2015/1/27 19:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
The only new head gaskets available are the composition version from Best. They work fine.

I've got a shelf full of the original steel shim gaskets and they also work fine.

If anyone needs the steel shim gaskets, let me know. The first on-line place I checked wants $65 a pair. I'll go half that, $32.50. In fact, if you find a lower price, I'll go half that, as long as supply lasts.

BTW, anyone building a big bore 374", I've got the world's only known supply of 4.250" bore gaskets.

jack vines

Posted on: 2015/1/27 21:14
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Cli55er
See User information
Jack, a couple of years ago when I rebuilt my 374 I ordered my gasket set from max merritt. It not only has metal head gaskets but also metal intake manifold gaskets. Are you sure Max no longer has the metal?

Posted on: 2015/1/27 23:39
1937 Packard 138-CD Deluxe Touring Limousine
Maroon/Black 1090-1021
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry/View.php?ID=232]1955 Packard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Quote:
The only new head gaskets available are the composition version from Best. They work fine.

Sorry I wasn't crystal-clear. Yes, some vendors would still have old stock 352" steel shim gaskets on the shelves. As I stated, I've got several old stock myself.

What I meant to be understood was AFAIK the only new production gaskets are the Best composition. The steel shim aren't in current production, but I'm willing to be corrected if someone has a link to the manufacturer.

jack vines

Posted on: 2015/1/28 11:59
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
several years ago I used composite head gaskets on a 56 clipper 352. I was careful to torque them to specs and after a couple of hundred miles I re-torqued them again.
At about 500 miles, the passenger side blew out. Maybe it was bad luck but I replaced both gaskets with metal and have no problem since. I will not use composite again.

Posted on: 2015/1/28 13:05
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Jack Vines
See User information
Personally, I prefer the steel shim gaskets, but they require careful installation.

I mill the surfaces of both the heads and the block decks, tap all head bolt holes, used hardened washers under the head bolts and spray the gaskets with CopperCoat.

The composite gaskets from Best are more idiot-proof and if retorqued once after a few heat cycles, I've had no problems using them.

They also slightly lower the compression ratio; not a bad thing on '56s using today's gas.

jack vines

Posted on: 2015/1/29 9:01
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved