Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
142 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 142

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

oil pan removal
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

BrianG
See User information
Good day all. Since joining the Packard info site last evening, the gentlemen who suggested I should remove oil pan to check out the pump and screen. Is there any way of removing oil pan with engine still in car?? I have a '54 Patty. It seems to me that it is possible to get to all the bolts, but doesn't look like there is any clearance to remove once pan is free. I hope I don't wear out my welcome, but this sight sure is a wealth of information. Also, I have posted on the other forum, for sale, wanted, or trade, looking for a 4 barrel intake for my car. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you, Brian.

Posted on: 2015/1/29 18:36
 Top  Print   

Re: oil pan removal
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
No need to worry about wearing out your welcome. Yes you can remove your oil pan with the engine in the chassis. Remove the pan retaining bolts, remove the steering idler from the right side frame rail; you'll probably have to rotate the crankshaft a bit for the counterweights to clear.

Fine car, the 54 Patrician, I drove one nearly daily for many years back in the 70s. I wish you many happy miles in yours.

Posted on: 2015/1/29 19:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
In addition to the items O_D mentioned, there may be an interference and possibly a bolt or two restricting the rear of pan that is hidden under the bellhousing lower half. If the pan isn't wanting to come free, you may also have to remove that piece to remove the pan.

Posted on: 2015/1/29 19:24
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

BrianG
See User information
Thanks for the insight guys. I'll let you know how I make Out.

Posted on: 2015/1/29 19:58
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

BrianG
See User information
Finished the oil pan Friday. Just like you said. Came right out!! Thanks again, Brian.

Posted on: 2015/2/1 15:08
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Good to hear. Did you find much crud in the pan? Some have been relatively clean and others have had so much buildup the screen on oil pump pickup was resting on it.

Posted on: 2015/2/1 15:15
Howard
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

BrianG
See User information
Found about 3/4 of an inch in the bottom. Took the floating screen off today and have it soaking. Is there any way of taking the screen apart?? While waiting for my gasket kit, I thought I might as well clean the valve compartment. Is there any good way of doing it?? Thought about diesel fuel, but not sure I can get it all back out behind lifter casting. Brian.

Posted on: 2015/2/2 19:57
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I much prefer charcoal lighter fluid, similar hydrocarbon mixture to kerosene or diesel but MUCH cleaner and nearly odorless with the same solvency power. It won't be easy to get it fully clean behind the valve springs and stems; problem is once you start you really have to finish it completely or run the risk of having some of the crud loosened, only to fall onto the cam and then into the pan after you've buttoned it up. All "all or nothing" job, perhaps best left until such time as you remove the head and valves.

Posted on: 2015/2/2 23:18
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved