Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
164 user(s) are online (118 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 162

Out Islander, kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

Re: Mark's 1950 Super Eight
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

50 2382
See User information
I haven't posted for a while...

I fixed the overdrive cable by getting a new cable from a company that makes push pull cables for aircraft. ($100) custom length and matching threaded ends. I then wired up a switch on a new bracket next to the pull cable that replaced the switch in the original cable. I also had to rebuild the kick down switch as it was not making contact, works good now. The whole OD is working great!

Earlier notes, The engine runs great with the rebuild and I had my old clutch, pressure plate and flywheel rebuilt locally...cost $200.

I rebuilt the door panels with new materials and covered them, for now, with fabric I bought from an upholstery supply company. I will someday get original designs instead of just flat material.

I am now in the process of rewiring the dash. Most of the wiring is OK but there are some brittle areas that are shorting out so the dash is coming apart. I'm working under the dash laying on my back and slowly removing the old harness. I have new cloth covered wire on the way and will use that to build a new harness. This project started when I discovered that I had destroyed the blower switch the last time I put the radio back in. I'll be more careful with this re-installation.

For now the seats are covered with generic seat covers until I get to the point where I want the seats and side panels fixed. That will come when I need to tackle the headliner, which is old but serviceable for now.

I had to repaint the hood right before my oldest son's wedding as I had the hood stored beside the house and it got nicked pretty good. But the car made it to the wedding and was a great get away car.

That's it for now.

Posted on: 2018/11/4 15:37
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Icescreamer
See User information
Can you share the name of the company that you worked with for the OD cable? Mine, like most of my cables, is frozen and although I have not attempted to break it loose, I would like to be prepared.

Thank you!

Posted on: 2018/11/5 11:03
1948 Packard 2262 Deluxe Eight Touring Sedan ? "Clara Belle"
1964 Rambler Classic 550 ? "Ramona"

Wishlist: 1939 Graham Spirit of Motion, Shark nose
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

50 2382
See User information
Sure:
Cable Craft
4401 South Orchard Street
Tacoma, Washington 98411
Phone: 253 475-1080
Fax 253 474-1623

https://www.cablecraft.com/

Posted on: 2018/11/5 11:33
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

50 2382
See User information
Today I finished the rewiring of the 50. What a job, I did it without taking out the dash finding it very relaxing working on my back feet up in the air on the seat. I worked a little at a time when I got tired I quit. Part time it took me about 3 weeks to complete.

Lessons learned...

Remove the heater distribution box from the heater and firewall.

As others have said drop the heater controls.

Remove the two hidden special nuts holding the switches to the front fascia.

Disconnect the cigar lighter, the nameplate illumination light, and the Headlight indicator light from the switch panel.

Now you can pull the switches back from the from the fascia.

Remove the radio next. It is easier to work underneath when the radio is out.

Remove the front fascia. To do this there are two flat head bolts over the ash tray and one over the hole that the radio fits into. Next remove the one Phillips bolt under the radio that holds the bottom of the dash to the face plate. Next remove the small Phillips screw that holds the bottom of the ash tray opening to the dash. The headlight on light is attached here.

Lastly, notice that there are two very small Phillips screws at the top of the radio grille opening. These hold the face plate to the dash.

There is a metal bar in the opening that the ash tray rocks on. You may have to work that out before the face plate will come out.

Carefully work the face plate out of the opening.

Now you have a way to get your arm into the space behind the instruments.

Remove the nuts holding the harness to the instruments.

Carefully disconnect the switch panel from the harness.

At this point I cut out the harness severing it at the firewall as I was not going to reuse it.

I worked out the harness through the opening I had created by removing the switch panel.

I took the old harness indoors and cut it apart as I used the wires that were only behind the dash as patterns for the new wires.

Using the wiring diagrams from this site I duplicated the harness carefully labeling each wire on each end with the numbers from the diagram. I did that as it is impossible to get all of the proper colors in cloth covered wire and I wanted to use cloth covered wire for period correctness.

I cut the wires that pass through the firewall long and cut and attached them once the under dash work was done.

Before I buttoned up the dash I checked each circuit with power to ensure things were right. Good thing too, as when I rewired the turn signal to switch socket I misread the diagram ans wired it from the rear and not the front, so nothing worked right. I had to open up the socket and solder the connections correctly, now it works right.

Finally, I tied up all the wiring using tie wraps and reinstalled the components in reverse order.

Ran the car for the first time in a month today and everything works as it should.

Posted on: 2018/12/3 19:53
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

50 2382
See User information
September 1st. The Packard made it to the wedding of my oldest, Sam and his beautiful bride Chloe. I worked my tail off to get the car in shape for a cross town trip and everything worked as planned...here's the picture taken at the reception.

Attach file:

jpg  (29.83 KB)
75249_5c23d12162d23.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2018/12/26 14:06
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Congratulations on finishing the hard work to deliver a good looking properly performing and well mannered car and providing quality transportation for a son and new daughter in law that undoubtedly appreciated it.

Posted on: 2018/12/26 14:22
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information
Mark (50 2382), as a matter of course the bride is the main attraction but the black & white / white & black combination of car and groom is also well worth seeing.

Posted on: 2018/12/26 16:31
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

50 2382
See User information
Well, I finished the new seat upholstery today. This was a job that I found took way too long but was extremely rewarding. I stumbled across an industrial sewing machine for cheap and that is what got me started. The project took about 6 weeks of spare time and a couple of weekends. I was not too tough and I learned how to sew along the way. I started with the easiest cushion and work my way up to the hardest. I used the old seat upholstery as patterns. The front seat support turned out to be the hardest. The finished product looks great.
Now on to driving instead of working.

Attach file:

jpg  (204.91 KB)
75249_5ce72fe7e6fc9.jpg 1441X1920 px

jpg  (228.69 KB)
75249_5ce72ff3d737f.jpg 1441X1920 px

jpg  (235.53 KB)
75249_5ce72ffdb3489.jpg 1441X1920 px

jpg  (247.46 KB)
75249_5ce730fb1efc3.jpg 1920X1440 px

Posted on: 2019/5/23 16:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John Brinegar
See User information
Great job - Thanks !

Posted on: 2020/11/21 1:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Fine job! There are a lot of 22nd-23rd Series Packards out there that could benefit from your upholstery expertise.

Steve

Posted on: 2020/11/21 10:23
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved