Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
134 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 134

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Original color?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information

Posted on: 2015/1/30 20:08
 Top  Print   

Re: Original color?
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Harley
See User information
Gumby

Some of us spend a lot of time discussing this

Most probably not. Reds, for one thing were quite "fugitive" i.e. they faded rapidly. Pigments in paints back then were different and couldn't support the bright palettes that later paints could.

You can find earlier paint carts here, in this period color combinations were carefully chosen and tended towards earth tones, blues and blacks. Red was usually reserved for trim on black cars.

Red otherwise was used for fire engines and people of questionable taste.
Packard did build yellow open cars in this period.

Regards

John Harley

Posted on: 2015/1/30 22:28
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
Thank you for your informative response. Given my limited knowledge, I rather figured the red color was a recent choice.

I appreciate your response.
Garrett Meadows

Posted on: 2015/1/30 22:35
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
I don't have a card for 1928, but 1929 featured "Mountain Ash Scarlet" as a standard color.

Anyhow, Packard would give the customer any color they wanted so if you like red cars then you could buy one.

Although I prefer to see at least a few cars painted in original colors, I find non-original colors far less objectionable than chroming wheels and painting over radiator shells which is the kind of behavior you expect in a minority neighborhood.

Posted on: 2015/1/31 12:06
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

West Peterson
See User information
Quote:

Tim Cole wrote:
Anyhow, Packard would give the customer any color they wanted so if you like red cars then you could buy one.

Although I prefer to see at least a few cars painted in original colors, I find non-original colors far less objectionable than chroming wheels and painting over radiator shells which is the kind of behavior you expect in a minority neighborhood.

Any color that could be made, that is.
I actually find the Chrome radiator shells to be what you'd expect in the neighborhood across the tracks.

Posted on: 2015/1/31 12:20
West Peterson
1930 Packard Speedster Eight Runabout (boattail)
1940 Packard 1808 w/Factory Air
1947 Chrysler Town and Country sedan
1970 Camaro RS

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=4307&forum=10

http://aaca.org/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

Red was for firetrucks, would be consider gaudy and gauche by polite society then. Any red listed for body panels was usually a very dark, oxblood or garnet hue. Vermillion was specified as pinstripe for accent, which being just that, wasn't considered too showy or inappropriate.

But, leave it to the self-centered, overt ethic abroad now, to finish a car like a circus wagon.

Steve

Posted on: 2015/1/31 16:00
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Red was for firetrucks, would be consider gaudy and gauche by polite society then

Amen to that. In looking at Packard paint charts starting in 1928, it is not until 1938 that a red is offered, Chinese Red. The only prior mention of red is 1934 as an optional underchassis color.

Posted on: 2015/1/31 17:23
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved