Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
127 user(s) are online (82 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 126

37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

The absolute last Packard manufactured.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
What was the absolute last Packard model to roll off the assembly-line before Packard closed? Also, is there any record of what happened to it?

take care
Garrett Meadows

Posted on: 2015/1/30 20:10
 Top  Print   

Re: The absolute last Packard manufactured.
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The Detroit assembly line, or South Bend? The last from Detroit is known and as I recall the event was recorded in factory photographs.

Posted on: 2015/1/30 20:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard5687
See User information
The absolute last Detroit-built Packard was a '56 Patrician 4 door, VIN 5682=4xxx. (I don't have the last 3 digits of the VIN at hand.) To the best of my knowledge, the fate of this car remains unknown.

The last Studebaker-built "Packards" were a pair of special-order pickup trucks with Packard badges attached that went to South America, Argentina if my memory is correct.

Posted on: 2015/1/30 20:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
Because I'm very ignorant of all things Packard, I didn't realize there were two manufacturing plants. However, it is nice to know that at least the Detroit Packard is extant.

take care
Garrett Meadows

Posted on: 2015/1/30 20:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard5687
See User information
Packard in Detroit closed on 26 June, 1956. It was a bitter end to a proud marque. Had Packard been able to launch the '57s they had planned, those cars would have been the most advanced production cars of their day. Features that didn't become common until the mid-'60s and even into the '70s would have been standard on these Packards - fuel injection being one.

For 1957 and 1958, there were "Packards" built on the Studebaker President chassis and body shell at the Studebaker plant in South Bend, Indiana.

I've been trying to upload a photo of the "Packard" truck, but I'm having trouble doing it.

Posted on: 2015/1/30 20:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
Dont worry Garrett, I still learn everyday.

As to the "Two" assembly lines, Packard after moving from Ohio, was Built in Detroit until 1956. My 56 is a Patrician 5682-4508, it was close to the end of the run.

The last two production years were 57-58 which were moved from Detroit and Produced in South Bend,Indiana at the Studebaker plant after the Packard/Studebaker merger. These were what you will hear people refer to as PackardBakers, etc.

Their are many others on here that has in depth details, you found a great site to ask and learn.

Posted on: 2015/1/30 20:59
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard5687
See User information

Attach file:

jpg  (44.06 KB)
13111_54cc3703dd731.jpg 628X688 px

Posted on: 2015/1/30 20:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
Great info. I really enjoy this forum because contributors--at least in my limited experience--are civil and helpful. They don't beat up on a person for asking "the obvious." A bad habit I have yet to break myself of is asking a question before taking the time to find the answer. More times than not, had I not been so quick to ask the question and only looked about for a moment, I would have found the answer. Still, I enjoy interacting forum members.

take care
Garrett Meadows

Posted on: 2015/1/30 22:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
That truck looked like a real work-horse.

Posted on: 2015/1/30 22:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The last Packard Detroit car was a Patrician, VN #5682-4775. It apparently has not survived.

Posted on: 2015/1/30 23:23
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved