Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
162 user(s) are online (110 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 161

BDeB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: The absolute last Packard manufactured.
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard5687
See User information
"The last Packard Detroit car was a Patrician, VN #5682-4775. It apparently has not survived."

Thank you for that - this is the VIN I remembered, but I wasn't confident of it and didn't want to post it incorrectly. I keep hoping that car will turn up, but I fear you are correct that it has not survived.

Posted on: 2015/1/31 0:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bobp
See User information
My 56772010A was shipped June 26, 1956,the last day, any way of knowing when this rolled off the line?

Posted on: 2015/1/31 18:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
...any way of knowing when this rolled off the line?

No way that I'm aware of.

Posted on: 2015/1/31 18:48
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Fuel injection, like the supercharger, was invented back in the teens. I don't know why it wasn't adopted earlier, but suspect it wasn't perfected to the level of the carburetor and the price of fuel kept it from adding value. The GM 50's fuelie units didn't help the image. At the same time, they tweaked carb design about every year until the use fell off.
Turbocharging was another invention that should have been in common use, based on efficiency, HP gains, etc. It was in use only in heavy engines. We wouldn't have had all the gas consumption that we had(aka oil addiction), if it had been adopted earlier, now today's "eco boost". But the stories go, the oil guys were in cahoots with the detroit boys - scratching each others back. Back in the day, there were always stories/rumors about a patent or patent holder for mileage improvement being "bought out" by GM. Packard may have also fell to some Big 3 "tactics", like Tucker, etc. But that's like the Yeti and UFOs, more mythology than proof.

Posted on: 2015/2/2 16:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

ECAnthony
See User information
As of the end of business on Thursday, June 21, 1956, the Conner Plant had built 1,021 1956 Executive 2-door hardtops. As a total of 1,031 were finally built, the last 10 were built during the next two days, Friday the 22nd and Monday the 25th (the last day of production), although it is not known if all 10 were built on Friday, on Monday or were split between the two days.

This information was taken from the form "1956 Model Balance Out Schedule Status As Of Close Of Business 6-21-56", which was obtained from one of the authors of the AQ "Packard - A History..." book.

So - #5677-2010A (the 1,010th 5677 built) should have been built during the June 18-21 period.

Posted on: 2015/2/2 22:01
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Caribbeandude
See User information
see this forum topic which shows the build sheet of the last 1956 Packard manufactured, sold in Guntersville, Alabama

https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=11046&forum=2&post_id=115435#forumpost115435

Posted on: 2015/2/3 0:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don 37
See User information
As I live in Guntersville, Alabama I will recheck the three 56's that are for sale out of a private outdoor lot to make sure it is not one of them. He wants 500-750 for each and it would be a shame if it gets crushed. If it's there it should be in the Packard museum.............

Posted on: 2015/2/3 5:23
1936 and 1937 120's Are what we like best. But we also like all other Packards too.

Don 37'
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bobp
See User information
Thanks for the info.

Posted on: 2015/2/3 19:06
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved