Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
78 user(s) are online (42 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 77

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Artist buried in a 1940 Packard?!!!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
I just finished watching a modern art documentary featuring a segment on an artist named Edward Keinholz. When Keinholz died in 1994, he was buried sitting behind the wheel of beautifully restored 1940 Packard coupe! Based on Keinholz's artistic philosophy and his works, I guess it was only fitting he be buried in such a way.

For those of you who think I'm jerking your chains, here's a blurb from an article detailing Keinholz's burial:

Edward Kienholz died suddenly in Idaho on June 10, 1994, from a heart attack after hiking in the mountains near their home. He was a chronic smoker who had been struggling with diabetes, which progressively impaired use of his extremities.[3][18] He was buried in an authentic Kienholz installation; Robert Hughes wrote, "[H]is corpulent, embalmed body was wedged into the front seat of a brown 1940 Packard coupe. There was a dollar and a deck of cards in his pocket, a bottle of 1931 Chianti beside him and the ashes of his dog Smash in the back. He was set for the afterlife. To the whine of bagpipes, the Packard, steered by his widow Nancy Reddin Kienholz, rolled like a funeral barge into the big hole."[20]

Posted on: 2015/1/31 13:34
 Top  Print   

Re: Artist buried in a 1940 Packard?!!!
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
So, you can take it with you.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/1/31 13:40
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dave Brownell
See User information
It will be interesting to see how Mal deals with this Packard, if he hasn't already. It gives another meaning to the Packard lament of another one biting the dust. My condoences.

Posted on: 2015/1/31 13:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Garrett Meadows
See User information
LOL. Excellent observation about another one biting the dust. While I find it admirable for surviving family members to adhere to one's last wishes, it was lamentable watching the video of that Packard being driven into the grave-site.

Posted on: 2015/1/31 13:48
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved