Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
138 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 135

John Sauser, 53 Cavalier, Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Oil Filter canister sealing
Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Does anyone know how tight the bolt on the oil filter canister on a 1941 needs to be. I have changed the oil and it wants to leak where the bolt head tightens to the top.

Posted on: 2015/1/31 15:07
 Top  Print   

Re: Oil Filter canister sealing
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Don't know the exact torque spec, but do you have a fiber washer under the bolt?

I would be careful about over tightening it as the top could become warped and/or the gasket damaged.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/1/31 15:34
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

CORSASEVEN
See User information
Thanks JW for your reply.The bolt will not come out of the top but it does have a brass washer under the bolt head.. I removed the top and sanded the surface where the bolt head seals against the canister top. This seemed to help but It still has a slight leak.I wonder if I should put a light skim coat of sealer under the washer.

Posted on: 2015/1/31 22:44
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
If you overtighten the lid they will leak.

I always used a torque wrench and tightened those to 15-18 ft lbs if memory serves me correctly.

I never had a problem with the bolt, but if the washer isn't split and the lid not galled then sealer should work.
I would let the unit sit for 24 hours to fully cure before starting the motor.

However, my first choice would be to get another unit because if it starts leaking on the road you won't know until the oil pressure drops.

Posted on: 2015/2/1 6:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I would think a fiber washer would seal better than one of brass. Should be able to find one at a Lowe's or Home Depot. Maybe place the fiber washer under the brass one, but there should be no need for two unless your bolt has been replaced with a regular one an does not have a washer surface.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/2/1 13:09
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved