Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
156 user(s) are online (89 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 154

Ozstatman, DavidM, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1941 Packard 110
Just popping in
Just popping in

atprod
See User information
I have a 41 Model 110 with standard 3 speed transmission. The car is a 4 door sedan. It is missing the speedometer drive. Can someone please tell me how many teeth are supposed to be on the gear that is in the missing assembly? Thanks.

Posted on: 2015/1/31 22:56
 Top  Print 

Re: 1941 Packard 110
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Some variables involved with your rear axle ratio being the most important. Not sure what the difference is between with collar or without collar and what determines which you need.. If you have OD, the same pinions are used but not necessarily the same number of teeth with the axle ratio as non OD.

Attach file:

jpg  (41.21 KB)
209_54cda68c1c01e.jpg 378X441 px

Posted on: 2015/1/31 23:08
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

atprod
See User information
Thanks for the information. My transmission does not have OD. I don't know if the rear end is the one which came with the car. That being the case, I guess I'll raise the rear of the car off the ground, mark the driveshaft and wheel positions, and rotate the driveshaft to see what the ratio is for the rear end.

Posted on: 2015/2/1 0:02
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day atprod,
to PackardInfo.

And, I invite you to include your '41 110 Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry.

Posted on: 2015/2/1 4:13
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
try cleaning off the oil and dirt from the pumpkin - sometimes the ratio is stamped on it.

Posted on: 2015/2/1 12:19
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
"sometimes the ratio is stamped on it"

Looking at the front of the pumpkin, it's usually on the left side either about the 8 or 10 o'clock mark(can't remember which).

Posted on: 2015/2/1 14:49
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

saltydog
See User information
I may have the pinion that you need. PM me.

Posted on: 2015/2/1 15:13
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

atprod
See User information
I am hesitant to post this because it makes me look like some kind of moron or lunatic. I raised the rear of the car and marked the position of the driveshaft and driven wheel. I rotated the driveshaft until the wheel made exactly one full rotation. I repeated this a number of times because I couldn't believe it-the ratio as close as I can measure it is 2.12:1 . This could explain why the car was missing the speedometer drive-someone was trying to do some sort of modification to it to make the speedometer read correctly. How in the world did someone come up with the parts to modify the differential in this way? Anybody out there have any ideas? Has anyone heard of something like this before?

Posted on: 2015/2/1 23:02
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You need to multiply the turns by 2 so your answer would be 4.24/1 rear axle ratio which is probably a 4.1.

Posted on: 2015/2/1 23:08
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

atprod
See User information
How can that be? For every 2.12 revolutions of the driveshaft the wheels rotate once. I don't see how you get around that fact. The ratio is the ratio of the input to the output, or in this case 2.12:1 . Believe me, I wish it were 4.1 but wishing or multiplying by 2 won't make it so. If it were 4.1:1 I would have turned the driveshaft over 4.1 times and the wheel would have rotated once. That's not what happened. That's why I said someone would probably think I was a moron or a lunatic.

Ok, so I am a moron. It's 4.3:1 . Helpful hint for the impaired such as myself-if the result seems to be about half of what is expected, rotate BOTH wheels simultaneously and count the corresponding number of rotations of the driveshaft.

Posted on: 2015/2/2 2:07
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved