Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
156 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 156

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Re: 56 400 headliner
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The can doesn't list any temp range and I don't have the info sheet that came with it anymore. You might check with Hirsch before ordering to be sure.

Can does say not to use where directly exposed to UV light and to top coat with another type paint if that is a possibility. Also has its own solvent you need to get from HIrsch. The other caution on the can is if it gets on anything else and not removed with the solvent before it dries, no solvent will remove it after it dries. That part I believe.

Posted on: 2015/2/1 17:29
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
insulation out, some bright metal up there,,,whata mess

will do,

thanks hh

Posted on: 2015/2/1 17:44
Riki
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
what a mess,

ok,, what i am thinking of doing is, use new jute, insulation, then the foil type, then jute again, so there is air flow,

if the foil is against the metal, i am thinking condensation,, with hot and cold.

and the jute will help with noise. might be a too thick ,,,

Attach file:

jpg  (152.99 KB)
4498_54cef55fe20c9.jpg 1280X720 px

Posted on: 2015/2/1 23:04
Riki
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
Wow. Seems your roof inner structure is quite a bit worse than I have seen ,on my 55 and others. I thought sunny Ca meant rust free cars. After removing the tar impregnated original pad You will have your work cut out for you with rust abatement and prep. As far as installing all that material above the headliner, I would caution you because these if they become loos and start to fall will ruin your headliner. The bows will hold some pressure there but remember those areas are where the liner is streached and pulled to the roof and if interfered with heavy ,thick padding may cause a non stock look. You may want to get other opinions here but i think a spray on medium will serve you much better and will be ample sound and temp insulation.

Posted on: 2015/2/2 8:39
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
While we are at it, I noticed on the rear package shelf and my "B" pillar trim pads attached to the water resistant black cardboard there was a thin grey sound and temp insulation. Does anyone know if there could be any asbestose in these materials or the roof pad? What type of precautions should be worn?

Posted on: 2015/2/2 8:45
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
Thanks 55

I think. Rear deck was brown. Like roof insulation..

Go to see what's. Out there....this will a knock around car so don't. Need to be. To picky...but don't wanta bow in middle either,,,,,,

I will see ...

Thanks

Posted on: 2015/2/2 15:30
Riki
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
Yup. This is surely some of the "hard work" which requires extreme elbow grease or cash out lay. But keep up the good work. Even a driver quality car can benefit from a DIY er striving for "show " quality effort. May I ask what material you will chose for the headliner and Will you be "jamming" the car? I wanted a clean interior so the wife and I could enjoy it while the exterior was being done. This caused extra work. The proper order is paint in the jams then windlace then headliner.
Seems paint/body work, headliner and interior work seem to be the hardest challenges.

Posted on: 2015/2/3 20:44
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

d c
See User information
Also Riki, I saw on another thread I believe an article with some info from the 1990. I was interested. Was this your dads car? Sorry if I am bringing up history which may be posted on a thread long ago. Can you elaborate? If you would rather not no problem. I understand

Posted on: 2015/2/3 20:51
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
55,, the 400 i got from a friend of my dads, back in 1979,

the headliner i got from jc whitney,,,and wow did they go up,,,,they used to be 40 bucks.

the 56 pat of my dads , don't have any pictures downloaded, of it before fire,

i think i posted the burn pictures of the car, to get ideas how to get the black off, the hood, top, and trunk are black,

my dad took movie pictures of it new, the white walls. my mom is driving, i need to get them on dvd.

my dad would use the car as a test car, showing people, how smooth it is, going over bumps..etc..but it was babied too..

would only drive it if,, 30 miles or more to get card warmed up..no short trips....

he was working at convair ...some engineers,, bought ,,cads, and buicks,, a few packards. he had a 54 pat. before this, or 51 ,, that car also went to stl..have movie pictures of that too...

Posted on: 2015/2/3 22:45
Riki
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

R H
See User information
1991 my dads high school reunion, mission valley, dads classmates,, and my mom

mom has san diego high homecomming. on back of pic.. think its reunion..

Attach file:

jpg  (111.04 KB)
4498_54d19ca66dbf1.jpg 1173X813 px

Posted on: 2015/2/3 23:14
Riki
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2) 3 4 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved