Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
122 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 121

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

core for 38 deluxe heater
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
does anybody know where to find a core for a 38 super 8 deluxe heater?

Posted on: 2015/2/3 22:57
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Re: core for 38 deluxe heater
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Are you missing the entire core? If not and just the core is bad, any good radiator shop can fit your tank heads to a new core. Last one I had done was about $100.

Posted on: 2015/2/3 23:42
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
The core is round and the radiator shop found so many holes that it needs a new one. I found a guy that makes them for $500 +shipping and I think that's way over the top.

Posted on: 2015/2/4 6:46

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Shields
See User information
Those round cores were actually made by General Motors and used in a number of contemporary GM cars as well. You might try some vintage GM parts suppliers and see what they might have. Best of luck with this.

Posted on: 2015/2/5 2:54
Don Shields
1933 Eight Model 1002 Seven Passenger Sedan
1954 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Any idea which years GM used them?

Posted on: 2015/2/5 9:07

Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Gary Kulp
See User information
A good place to start is 1937 GM products heaters as Chev. ,Pont. or Olds. It seems like they always sold Packard last years model year and put on different knobs and emblems and paint. I have a rough 38 Packard std. heater you could have for shipping cost, but the core is of unknown condition. I believe the deluxe heaters may have had a thicker core,but the same outer case with extra case or housing embellishments.

Posted on: 2015/2/5 16:31
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Is the round core seen in its entirety? If an original is non existent or that expensive is there any way to disguise a more standard shape by using part of the old core as a cover or filler. Maybe slice the old so only a thin visible front section would cover or surround a new square core.

Posted on: 2015/2/5 16:47
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
This Is The Backside:

Convert: pm sent

Attach file:

jpg  (125.03 KB)
5061_54d3f7544f52a.jpg 960X1280 px

Posted on: 2015/2/5 18:06

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That core is different than I was expecting so surrounding a square core wouldn't work. I assume the motor fits in that round center??

I can think of one more relatively low cost idea that MIGHT work if core is not highly visible and IF the readily available fins needed can be bent to follow the round form. That bending of the fins part I do not know if possible.

The harebrained idea is to make your core by bending some copper tubing in a circle to duplicate the shape and provide the hose connections but as a continuous length of tube or maybe two semi circles connected with a tee on each end to more duplicate the header space of the original. Once bent to shape and fitting the circle, IF the fins can follow the bend you could use some clamp on fins to complete and form the core. Trim to size as needed. Since the fins are for 3/4 tubing you would need to form the circle with that and then transition to whatever hose size the car uses. You would also need to provide some kind of new support for the core and motor.

Anyway, take it for what its worth. A suggestion so probably only worth half that much.

Posted on: 2015/2/5 19:11
Howard
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

rvsls
See User information
It has taken me some time to locate the information I got at Hershey this past year but finally found it. I have a 37, 120 with the circular heater which I had to have repaired this past year. The shop told me that if it leaked again they would not be able to fix it so I too have been trying to find a replacement.

Universal Carnegie Manufacturing Co says they can make circular cores. Their information is as follows:

Universal Carnegie Mfg.
66A Arch Street Ext.
Carnegie, PA 15106
800-867-9554
www.ucvintagerad.com

Hope that helps,
Rod Smith, Reno NV

Posted on: 2015/2/7 19:14
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved