Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
138 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 138

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

Packard engine coolant
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Phillip Weeks
See User information
My 1926 Packard tends to overheat particularly on hills. The engine block was extremely dirty and after many cleans and flushes the coolant is now reasonably clear. The running temperature is still quite high. There is a section in the Packard Service manual 1922-1928 about antifreeze solution and glycerine is recommended between 30 and 45% by volume mixed with water. Has anyone tried using glycerine as a coolant /antifreeze? Are there any risks to the motor?

Attach file:

jpg  (126.24 KB)
1675_54d35cc93662d.jpg 1024X768 px

Posted on: 2015/2/5 7:08
 Top  Print   

Re: Packard engine coolant
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

28Pack526
See User information
Hi Phil,

My '28 526 has nearly the same motor (making the assumption that yours is a single six from the photo), and it runs consistently between 160-180 on even the hottest days and under extended load (lots of hills where I live too). I'm running 50/50 off the shelf glycol.

If you haven't already, I'd check the radiator, waterpump, and thermostat before switching to exotic coolant mixtures. Is your radiator an original honeycomb? If so, I'd definitely have it flow tested.

Great looking car btw!

Posted on: 2015/2/5 10:02
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Glycerine (and methyl alcohol) were the standard anti-freeze components before the advent of ethylene glycol solutions and in every respect the ethylene glycol was a significant improvement; I'd never use glycerine when a modern anti-freeze was available.

Of course if you don't need an anti-freeze, plain water has better heat transfer properties. You might try using one of the "water wetter" additives to help heat transfer but I think, as stated in another post, your cooling system is sub-standard.

Posted on: 2015/2/5 10:43
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day Phil,

Great to see your '26 is now up and running and looking forward to seeing you and Marjorie together with the '26 at the National Rally next month. And hopefully you'll have any overheating problems solved by that time. On the Thursday run to Vintage Motor Garage(where for others information, the major restoration work on Phil's Packard was undertaken) there is a long pull from the Hawkesbury River up to Mangrove Mountain. Not overly steep but more a continuous climb.

Link to post of the '26 at VMG.

And link to photos of the '26 at VMG.

Posted on: 2015/2/5 14:53
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good afternoon Phil...

The distributor can often be the problem. I don't know if yours has been rebuilt or if it is pretty old. The springs and bareings can hang up and cause the engine to run in a retarded fashion. An old condenser can also cause an engine to run hot. Also, if you look on the Packard Club Web Site, on the left side, well down the list of options, you will see a red tool box. Click on it and go to the section on overheating. There is a really good list of possibilities. Someone pointed out recently, that old head gaskets leaking between cylendars can cause over heating and make us use bad words!

Good Luck...Ernie

Posted on: 2015/2/5 17:51
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

DavidM
See User information
Phil,
I agree with the the previous comments, the type of coolant is not going to fix serious overheating, I would be getting the radiator flow tested and if it is the original radiator core then the chances of it having all flow passages clear are not good neither are your chances of cleaning it.
Engine tune certainly needs to be checked but if you have an old radiator core its the number one suspect in my book.
I suggest you talk to our PACA Technical Advisor Peter Toet about his radical method of cleaning out an old radiator.
Also keep in mind The Vintage Honeycomb Radiator company in Brisbane run by our Qld PACA member Greg who also has a 1920's 6 cyl Packard like yours.
If you can live with a non authentic core a new ribbon type core will give you the best cooling and some margin on the original core.
Good luck David

Posted on: 2015/2/5 20:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Packard
See User information
I wasn't able to upload a video of the clean-out method using a car exhaust. I may be able to PM it if anyone wants to see the method. it avoids removing the radiator and can be used to clean out the block as well. PT

Attach file:

jpg  (187.87 KB)
154_54d41a5a4f85f.jpg 1280X960 px

jpg  (146.54 KB)
154_54d41b3c41847.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2015/2/5 20:35
I like people, Packards and old motorbikes
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
An aside. Who's that standing at the corner of the building operating the tap to supply water to the flushing process on Peters command? No prize involved. Some hints: He's a PackardInfo member and contributor, a noted Packard parts authority but is not often seen standing still long enough to be caught on camera!

Posted on: 2015/2/5 21:12
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
Quote:

Ozstatman wrote:
An aside. Who's that standing at the corner of the building operating the tap to supply water to the flushing process on Peters command? No prize involved. Some hints: He's a PackardInfo member and contributor, a noted Packard parts authority but is not often seen standing still long enough to be caught on camera!

The Flackmaster perhaps?

Posted on: 2015/2/6 1:38
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Brian,

You've nailed it in one! Photo from the 2009 National Packard Rally here in Oz.

Posted on: 2015/2/6 2:50
Mal
/o[]o\
====

What's this?
Here's how!
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved