Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
79 user(s) are online (50 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 79

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Grill removal?
Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Has anyone here removed a 48 Custom 8 grill and front bumper? Jumping right in to removing mine, but today on close examination, realized I could use a little guidance as to whether the grill can be removed as a unit or in sections, or if you must start disassembling the entire grill piece by piece, either from the bottom up, or top down.

Thanks all

Posted on: 2015/2/6 20:25
 Top  Print   

Re: Grill removal?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
you can remove the bolts that hold the bottom splash, then the four bumper to frame bolts and take the bumper and lower pan as a unit. remove park light doors, top splash pan. at this point if u just want room to remove the center grill to get to the cam u need to remove the right and left top bars-one bolt fender side and two on the grill side. next the six bolts that hold the center section. hope this helps. dell

Posted on: 2015/2/6 20:47

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joseph Earl
See User information
Removed the grille on my 48 Super Eight in order to clean the distribution tube. The upper panel between the radiator and the grille is easy to remove, then you should be able to access the bolts holding the grille. I'm guessing the Custom will be a similar procedure.

Attach file:

jpg  (146.04 KB)
4371_54d62a59715bf.jpg 1280X956 px

Posted on: 2015/2/7 10:08
Joey

(?=#=?)

"If chrome got me home, I'd for sure still be stuck somewhere."

[url=http://pac
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Quote:

Dell wrote:
you can remove the bolts that hold the bottom splash, then the four bumper to frame bolts and take the bumper and lower pan as a unit. remove park light doors, top splash pan. at this point if u just want room to remove the center grill to get to the cam u need to remove the right and left top bars-one bolt fender side and two on the grill side. next the six bolts that hold the center section. hope this helps. dell

Thanks Dell & Joeyearl. Sounds like a good way to remove the whole grill and bumpers in two or three sections. Wondering: do you know if it's possible to remove the grill center ox-yoke section along with just the first row of stainless trim beneath it (the row including the parking lights/signals) and leaving the lower bumper in place?

That piece is in such poor condition that I had planned to wait to remove that until I was going to have it chromed. But everything above the bumper could come out to get at minimum, a polish and buff to help the appearance, maybe take away some of the pitting that's starting.

Cheers

Posted on: 2015/2/10 13:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
remove top cover, park light doors, top bars between grill and park light-two bolts from center grill side and one under fender side and six bolts that hold center grill.

Posted on: 2015/2/10 23:27

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

See User information
Got the C8 grill off last night, finally accessing the front of the 356. Thanks for the help everyone. Took me a good 1/2 day to do it. Kept thinking the grill was going to clear the lower bumper, but it was only upon taking the lower bumper nearly all the way off that the center grill section had enough clearance to come out.

Thought I also had to take the parking lamp assembly backings off as well and managed to snap off the threaded ends of the rivets on both doors, they were so rusty. Poop. I'll have to press new threaded rivets in, once I get those out all the way.

Posted on: 2015/2/22 21:40
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved